Job details « Go back to category
Part-time Technical Project Manager - Tasking ManagerPublished at 27.12.2018 - Viewed: 644 times - Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (Worldwide/Remote)
Location: Remote Anticipated
Start Date: 21 January 2019
Contract length: 9 months
Reports to: Director, Technology Innovation
Free, up-to-date maps are a critical resource when relief organizations are responding to disasters or political crises. The Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) creates and provides those maps. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies a huge network of volunteers to create open data, online in OpenStreetMap, the maps that enable responders to reach those in need.
To conduct this work HOT builds and maintains over ten open source mapping tools. We work with volunteers and contributors to design and develop these products to serve the larger HOT and OpenStreetMap community. HOT is hiring a Technical Project Manager to oversee product development of one of these open source tools: Tasking Manager. The Tasking Manager is one of HOT’s flagship tools to help coordinate mapping in OpenStreetMap. This spring HOT and the Tasking Manager partners will be redeveloping many features of the tool, including integrating machine learning outputs into a mapping workflow.
The Technical Project Manager will have two primary roles with a focus on the Tasking Manager. First is as a product manager. As a product manager, you will develop a product roadmap, engage volunteers, facilitate developer meetings, and provide development coordination. This is an exciting role to lead the direction and development of HOT’s core mapping coordination tool. Second is as a project manager providing financial and administrative oversight of grant funding and coordinate specific grant-funded activities. In a project manager role, you will work directly with HOT’s partners and funders to implement the grants and help ensure the project runs on time and within budget.
This position will be based remotely with potential travel to HOT’s offices or other locations for meetings. Working schedule is approximately half-time at 4 hours per day, 5 days a week.
What you will do:
- Create detailed project outlines and a product roadmaps
- Coordinate project related staff, manage software development financials and provide appropriate reporting to funders
- Engage volunteers and users of the Tasking Manager to assess needs and design a product roadmap
- Facilitate multi-stakeholder meetings online and in-person
- Work with HOT and outside developers to coordinate and guide software development
- Develop quality assurance plans and manage acceptance of software deliverables including hands-on testing and logging issues
- Produce communications and outreach materials, as well as, developer and end user documentation
- Manage deployment of applications and ensure monitoring and support systems are in place
- Lead and participate in the HOT Technical Working Group meetings and other periodic product meetings
- Other related project tasks as needed
What we’re looking for:
- Experience building web-based products from start to finish with user-centered design principles. A proven software product manager.
- An excellent communicator in-person and online. Ability to show empathy through online communication. Strong facilitation skills.
- Proven excellence in project organization and coordination, experience working with software developers
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Fluent in English
- Participation in OpenStreetMap related projects
- Experience working within a nonprofit or NGO environment
- Experience working with geospatial software and data
- Experience working in a remote position
Complete online form on or before 7th January 2019. Follow instructions. Fill in the application form here: https://humanitarian-openstreetmap-team.forms.fm/hot-tech-submission/