Job details « Go back to category
Full-time LOCKSS Systems Support SpecialistPublished at 06.02.2019 - Viewed: 893 times - Stanford University in United States
The LOCKSS Program maintains and provides support for the open-source LOCKSS software, which powers distributed preservation networks used by libraries and publishers worldwide to ensure durable access to digital content. The LOCKSS software is presently undergoing a major re-architecture, concluding later this year, which will introduce new technologies to the stack, provide for new system integration opportunities, and support new use cases. Successfully launching the renovated LOCKSS software and helping partners to realize its benefits will require additional technical support capacity, both to facilitate the migration of existing partner systems and to provide a higher baseline level of support.
The LOCKSS Program seeks a Systems Support Specialist who can become proficient in deployment and operational support of the renovated LOCKSS software on Linux systems. This will entail providing reliable technical support to partners via phone and e-mail; understanding partner needs and IT environments; providing training in the use of the renovated LOCKSS software; helping to establish and then execute repeatable processes for setup of new LOCKSS systems and networks; participation in the creation of product documentation; assisting with management of a support mechanism for reliable issue escalation and resolution; and channeling customer feedback to the Core Software Engineering team for system enhancements.
This position reports to the LOCKSS Program Manager and works closely with the other LOCKSS Technical Support Specialist, in particular, as well as LOCKSS managers for Applied Preservation Services, Core Software Engineering, and Partnerships to ensure high-quality service to all LOCKSS partners.
The successful candidate is excited by the prospect of:
- supporting systems that in turn support the long-term preservation of institutions’ most important digital materials;
- diving in and solving technical problems in a collaborative environment;
- fostering and strengthening an organizational culture focused on service excellence;
- working with a diverse group of people representing a wide range of professional backgrounds and expertise.
Why work with us?
- You’ll love your work, but you’ll still have time and energy for a life.
- You’ll work with colleagues that you actually want to go have lunch with.
- You’ll have the opportunity to learn new technologies.
- Your work will do good in the world, and help assure the future of libraries.
- We care about providing a welcoming and inclusive work environment.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to recruiting and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.