Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Campaigns ManagerPublished at 26.03.2019 - Viewed: 1727 times - Free Software Foundation in Boston, MA, United States
The Free Software Foundation (FSF), a Massachusetts 501©(3) charity with a worldwide mission to protect computer user freedom, seeks a motivated and talented Boston-based individual to be our full-time campaigns manager.
Reporting to the executive director, the campaigns manager works on our campaigns team to lead, plan, carry out, evaluate, and improve the FSF’s advocacy and education campaigns. The team also works closely with other FSF departments, including licensing, operations, and tech. The position will start by taking responsibility for existing campaigns in support of the GNU Project, free software adoption, free media formats, and freedom on the network; and against Digital Restrictions Management (DRM), software patents, and proprietary software.
Examples of job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Planning and participating in online and physical actions to achieve our campaign goals;
- Setting specific goals for each action and then measuring our success in achieving them;
- Doing the writing and messaging work needed to effectively explain our campaigns and motivate people to support them;
- Overseeing or doing the graphic design work to make our campaigns and their Web sites attractive;
- Supporting and attending special events, including community-building activities and our annual LibrePlanet conference;
- Assisting with annual online and mail fundraising efforts;
- Working with our tech team on the technology choices and deployments—especially of Web publication systems like Drupal and Plone—for our campaign sites; and
- Being an approachable, humble, and friendly representative of the FSF to our worldwide community of existing supporters and the broader public, both in person and online.
Ideal candidates have at least three to five years of work experience in online issue advocacy and free software; proficiency and comfort with professional writing and publications preferred. Because the FSF works globally and seeks to have our materials distributed in as many languages as possible, multilingual candidates will have an advantage. With our small staff of fourteen, each person makes a clear contribution. We work hard, but offer a humane and fun work environment at an office located in the heart of downtown Boston. The FSF is a mature but growing organization that provides great potential for advancement; existing staff get the first chance at any new job openings.
Benefits and salary
This job is a union position that must be worked on-site at the FSF’s downtown Boston office. The salary is fixed at $63,253/year and is nonnegotiable. Other benefits include:
- Full individual or family health coverage through Blue Cross/Blue Shield’s HMO Blue program;
- Subsidized dental plan;
- Four weeks of paid vacation annually;
- Seventeen paid holidays annually;
- Weekly remote work allowance;
- Public transit commuting cost reimbursement;
- 403(b) program through TIAA with employer match;
- Yearly cost-of-living pay increases (based on government guidelines);
- Healthcare expense reimbursement budget;
- Ergonomic budget;
- Relocation (to Boston area) expense reimbursement;
- Conference travel and professional development opportunities; and
- Potential for an annual performance bonus.
Applications must be submitted via email to . The email must contain the subject line “Campaigns manager.” A complete application should include:
- Cover letter, including a brief example of a time you motivated and organized others to take action on an issue important to you;
- Two recent writing samples;
- Links to any talks you have given (optional); and
- Graphic design samples (optional).
All materials must be in a free format (such as plain text, PDF, or OpenDocument). Email submissions that do not follow these instructions will probably be overlooked. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. To guarantee consideration, submit your application by Sunday, April 14th.
The FSF is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or application for employment on the basis of race, color, marital status, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, handicap, or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law. We value diversity in our workplace.
About the Free Software Foundation
The Free Software Foundation, founded in 1985, is dedicated to promoting computer users’ right to use, study, copy, modify, and redistribute computer programs. The FSF promotes the development and use of free (as in freedom) software—particularly the GNU operating system and its GNU/Linux variants—and free documentation for free software. The FSF also helps to spread awareness of the ethical and political issues of freedom in the use of software, and its Web sites, located at fsf.org and gnu.org, are an important source of information about GNU/Linux. Donations to support the FSF’s work can be made at . We are based in Boston, MA, USA.