Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Codebase steward for qualityPublished at 12.05.2019 - Viewed: 807 times - PublicCode.net in Amsterdam, Netherlands
Come help producers of open source software for public use — such as in cities and other public organizations — improve the quality of their codebases by making them easier to understand, well documented and thus highly reusable.
The Foundation for Public Code helps public organizations develop and maintain software and policy together. We provide review of codebases that are in our stewardship to help developers build trusted and reliable software that can be widely reused and foster a strong community around it.
We test against the Standard for Public Code to make codebases understandable, reusable and community based. Our standards are high, as well as opinionated, to ensure codebases can be trusted as the infrastructure of society and improve continually, and policy makers can keep technology and architectural choices open.
What the codebase steward for quality does
As a codebase steward for quality you work together with the community to make the codebases trusted, reliable and reusable. This means you will be:
- reviewing contributions to codebases for compliance with the Standard, and giving constructive and actionable feedback
- continually developing the Standard for Public Code
So, if you enjoy working together with a wide array of developers to make open source codebases really shine as well as improve the role of technology in society, this job is for you.
What we expect from all of our team members
- share our core values: openness, quality, trust, community, helpfulness
- understand the value of and be experienced with open source products and communities
- want to work for the public good
- have a collaborative work attitude and take pride in making things together
- be able to work independently
- be a strong communicator in English
- have international experience
- be an active participant in the codebase community you support
What we expect from the codebase steward for quality
We expect our new codebase steward to:
- be experienced in making great reusable open source software
- be an experienced maintainer in the open source community
- be motivated to help others make great reusable open source software
- be excited to help us create our process for codebase auditing
- be a programming languages polyglot
- be diplomatic, strategically aware and able to be a strong advocate for the organization
- be able to deliver constructive and actionable feedback
- be an active participant in the community you support
More information about this position
This is a full time role (40 hours/week) in our main offices in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Assistance in relocation is possible. This is a one year contract, with an option to extend. Compensation is competitive as well as in line with the public mission of the organization.