Job details « Go back to category
Internship Coding Experience InternshipPublished at 14.05.2019 - Viewed: 845 times - Igalia (Worldwide/Remote)
Igalia Coding Experience Program
About the Coding Experience program
The Igalia Coding Experience is an grant program which gives students with a background in Computer Science, Information Technology and Free Software their first exposure to the professional world, working hand in hand with Igalia programmers and learning with them.
One of the core principles of Igalia is equality, so we feel a deep and continual obligation to acknowledge and counter the structural discrimination that permeates our industry and our world. In a practical sense this means that we maintain a permanent diversity commission that helps to shape company policy and that we always try to hold ourselves accountable to our internal code of conduct. We also feel that one of the best ways to accomplish these goals is to grow and maintain the diversity of Igalia itself. We welcome applicants regardless of their age, disability, gender, race, marital status, religion, sexual orientation or whatever type of systemic discrimination that they have faced.
Coding experiences positions
For 2019 we offer Coding experiences in the following areas:
- Implementation of web standards, where the student will become familiar with, and contribute to the implementation of W3C standards in open source web engines.
- WebKit, which is one of the most important open source web rendering engines. The student will have the opportunity to help in its maintenance and/or contribute to development of new features.
- Chromium, a well-known browser rendering engine. The student will work with specific feature development and/or bug-fixing. Additional tasks may include maintenance of our internal buildbots and to create packages of Chromium/Wayland for distribution.
- Multimedia and GStreamer, the leading open source multimedia framework. The student will help to develop the Video Editing stack in GStreamer (namely GES and NLE). This work will include adding new features in any part of GStreamer, GStreamer Editing Services or in the Pitivi video editor, as well as fixing bugs in any of those components.
- Open-source graphics stack. The student will work in the development of specific features in Mesa or in improving any of the open-source testing suites (VkRunner, piglit) used in the Mesa community. Candidates are also welcome to propose topics of interest to work in (include them in the cover letter).
Conditions and compensation
This program is for students who wish to have a first professional experience while they are in education.
Our ideal candidates are highly motivated to work on Free Software projects; bonus points for existing contributions to any Free Software project related to our areas of specialization, including participation in its community.
The specific conditions of our Coding Experience program are:
- Mentorship by one of the Igalia’s outstanding open source contributors in the field.
- Hours: 450h
- Compensation: 6500€
- Usual timetables:
- 3 months full-time
- 6 months part-time
- 1 year 10h per week
We will do the selection of the candidates for the Coding Experience program twice a year: In June and in November.