This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago! (*)
Developer / Devops Engineer Full-time
Published at 2019-05-16 -
Viewed: 1966 times -
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 150,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need.
HOT is hiring a full-time developer/engineer to work closely with our Director of Technology and Project Managers in support of mission-critical open source web mapping tools and services. This is a remote based, contract position for 7 months, with possible extension pending additional funding in 2020. Working schedule is full-time, approximately 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. Part-time candidates are eligible to apply as well.
HOT has a diverse technology stack and utilizes a number of cloud provider services. We’re looking for an experienced person who is well-versed in web and cloud-computing and is eager to develop an infrastructure with HOT staff and volunteers in an open source software environment. In addition to supporting currently running services, a key component of responsibilities will be to support the HOT community and projects through collaborating on decision making, listening about needs and developing solutions, and helping curate a tech support community.
- Administer, maintain, and support HOT servers and community-critical applications including Tasking Manager, OSM Export Tool, OpenAerialMap, OSM Analytics, and HOT website. This includes administering our cloud-providers like AWS, Heroku, Hetzner, and Microsoft Azure.
- Support manual and automated deployment of code to staging and production environments.
- Develop backup and monitoring of all applications and services, including ensuring and improving the security of all HOT applications and services.
- Support volunteers, developers, and project managers for all HOT applications and services
- Join and contribute to bi-weekly technical working group meetings.
What do you will do:
- Generate weekly backlogs and work closely with HOT staff and community members to determine weekly priorities.
- Implement weekly backlogs and communicate progress via Github and Slack.
- Provide support to help debug and determine how to resolve issues for all HOT applications through pull requests of patches and Github issue communication.
- Work with HOT staff to develop and implement strategies for maintaining system uptime.
- Provide technical guidance to existing and new HOT software development projects.
Qualifications we’re looking for:
- Experience in cloud-computing architecture and administration (AWS EC2, S3, etc); significant experience with Linux administration and security including shell scripting, Docker, and Git
- Experience developing modern web applications.
- An excellent communicator. Ability to show empathy through online communication.
- Fluent in English
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Minimum 2 years experience in a devops or support engineer role. Experience with both virtual and physical servers, and working with open source software and communities
- Experience with Node.js, Python, SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Participation in OpenStreetMap related projects
- Experience working within a nonprofit or NGO environment
- Experience working with geospatial software and data
Conditions and Benefits
- Assignment on contractor basis.
- HOT values salary transparency and equity. Salaries and pay rates at HOT are determined by an open framework: please see [hotosm.org/salaries](https://www.hotosm.org/salaries)
- HOT is a leader in flexible working arrangements. As a young, innovative, and open organization, we provide ample space and opportunity for personal initiative and growth.
- Health and medical benefits are provided to all staff through group insurance plans for employees, corporate insurance for accidents and medical emergencies, and 8% wage differentials for independent contractors.