Job details « Go back to category
Part-time DesignerPublished at 16.05.2019 - Viewed: 515 times - Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (Worldwide/Remote)
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 150,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need.
HOT is hiring a web designer to work closely with our Director of Technology and Project Managers in support of mission-critical open source web mapping tools and services. This is a remote based, contract position for 7 months, with possible extension pending additional funding in 2020. Working schedule is part-time and expected 20-30 hours per week.
HOT develops and maintains over [ten open source tools](https://github.com/hotosm/) for editing and collecting OpenStreetMap and humanitarian data. We’re looking for an experienced designer who is eager to be involved in all aspects of the design process for each tool. Over the past two years, HOT has been developing style guidelines for our tools and a key responsibility of this position will be to oversee the implementation of the guidelines within each tool, as well as, evolve and improve the guidelines. Additionally, this position will develop, oversee, and implement a user-centered design process — to help bring user feedback into our software development process and continuously evolve our tools to better serve the HOT community.
- Develop and curate HOT design assets and documentation — style guidelines, copy and branding guidance, and essential UI/UX components.
- Evaluate and create design update plans for core tools that do not adhere to the updated HOT style guidelines
- Serve as the design lead for our open source projects. Create wireframes, high-fidelity mockups, and style assets for projects to implement. Implement changes directly on projects.
- Provide implementation support to projects, as well as, give feedback/advice to software developers.
- Create and conduct user research to drive product development of our tooling and test ideas that have been implemented.
- Support volunteers, developers, and project managers for all HOT tools with design feedback and advice.
What do you will do:
- Work collaboratively with the HOT Tech team to define work. This may be on loose ideas or very narrowly scoped deliverables to implement.
- Partner with both technical and non-technical staff at HOT to capture input and turn it into ideas.
- Create and test prototypes of ideas; develop wireframes, designs, and code to implement ideas within product roadmaps; develop and draft design documentation.
- Provide design reviews and feedback to HOT Tech team.
- Generate weekly backlogs and work closely with HOT technical staff to communicate progress via Github and Slack.
- Provide design guidance to existing and new HOT software development projects.
Qualifications we’re looking for:
- Experience designing web applications for an international community of users. Proven experience designing products with teams.
- Highly skilled in HTML and CSS
- Attention to detail in any work you share — prototypes, wireframes, designs have a high attention to detail.
- An excellent communicator. Ability to show empathy through online communication and an ability to explain your thought process and how you developed your work.
- Experience facilitating design reviews and feedback sessions.
- Fluent in English
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Minimum 2 year experience in a lead design role
- Skilled across disciplines — UI, UX, and visual design
- Participation in OpenStreetMap related projects
- Experience working within a nonprofit or NGO environment
- Experience designing geospatial software applications
Conditions and Benefits
- Assignment on contractor basis.
- HOT values salary transparency and equity. Salaries and pay rates at HOT are determined by an open framework: please see [hotosm.org/salaries](https://www.hotosm.org/salaries)
- HOT is a leader in flexible working arrangements. As a young, innovative, and open organization, we provide ample space and opportunity for personal initiative and growth.
- Health and medical benefits are provided to all staff through group insurance plans for employees, corporate insurance for accidents and medical emergencies, and 8% wage differentials for independent contractors.