Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Fedora Community ManagerPublished at 11.07.2019 - Viewed: 881 times - RedHat in Remote, Czech Republic
Location: CZ-Remote – prefer Europe but can be North America
At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing solutions. We offer cloud, Linux, middleware, storage, and virtualization technologies, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services. Red Hat is a rapidly growing company supporting more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies.
Red Hat’s Open Source Programs Office (OSPO) team is looking for the next Fedora Community Action and Impact Lead. In this role, you will join the Fedora Council and guide initiatives to grow the Fedora user and developer communities, as well as make Red Hat and Fedora interactions even more transparent and positive. The Council is responsible for stewardship of the Fedora Project as a whole, and supports the health and growth of the Fedora community.
As a the Fedora Community Action and Impact Lead, you’ll facilitate decision making on how to best focus the Fedora community budget to meet our collective objectives, work with other council members to identify the short, medium, and long-term goals of the Fedora community, and organize and enable the project.
You will also help make decisions about trademark use, project structure, community disputes or complaints, and other issues. You’ll hold a full council membership, not an auxiliary or advisory role.
Primary job responsibilities
- Identify opportunities to engage new contributors and community members; align project around supporting those opportunities.
- Improve on-boarding materials and processes for new contributors.
- Participate in user and developer discussions and identify barriers to success for contributors and users.
- Use metrics to evaluate the success of open source initiatives.
- Regularly report on community metrics and developments, both internally and externally.
- Represent Red Hat’s stake in the Fedora community’s success.
- Work with internal stakeholders to understand their goals and develop strategies for working effectively with the community.
- Improve onboarding materials and presentation of Fedora to new hires; develop standardized materials on Fedora that can be used globally at Red Hat.
- Work with the Fedora Council to determine the annual Fedora budget.
- Assist in planning and organizing Fedora’s flagship events each year.
- Create and carry out community promotion strategies; create media content like blog posts, podcasts, and videos and facilitate the creation of media by other members of the community
- Extensive experience with the Fedora Project or a comparable open source community.
- Exceptional writing and speaking skills
- Experience with software development and open source developer communities; understanding of development processes.
- Outstanding organizational skills; ability to prioritize tasks matching short and long-term goals and focus on the tasks of high priority
- Ability to manage a project budget.
- Ability to lead teams and participate in multiple cross-organizational teams that span the globe.
- Experience motivating volunteers and staff across departments and companies
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.