Privacy, Networking & Security Intern – Emerging Technologies (Summer 2020)
Mozilla is hiring a Privacy, Networking, and Security Intern for our Emerging Technologies team. Emerging Technologies is Mozilla’s early research and development organization focused on the areas of voice assistants, speech and language, and mixed reality. This internship opportunity is available at either our Mountain View or San Francisco office.
We are engineers, designers, makers, and problem solvers. We work in the fishbowl known as the open source community, with a clear focus on making the Web better. Working with us, you’ll help build interesting new features, improve Mozilla products, and explore new product directions. To be part of the team, we ask that you be user centered, technically-curious, and excited to be moving the Mozilla mission forward.
As a part of our Mozilla Internship Program, you will:
- Impact challenging projects influenced by our family of Mozilla products in and outside of the Firefox web browser (accessibility, voice design, developer tools, mobile, and mixed reality), Rust, Pocket, and more
- Be mentored by a fellow teammate and someone who shares the same values
- Do real work on real projects and make contributions that will impact hundreds of millions of users
- Participate in social events with your fellow interns (amusement parks, ice cream and boba socials, board game nights, escape rooms, and painting parties)
- Meet with Mozilla leaders including our CEO, Executive Chairwoman, CPO, Chief R&D Officer, CMO, and Executive Foundation Director
- Present your work to Mozilla leaders and fellow team members
- Market competitive pay
- Catered lunches, snacks, and drinks
- Housing service or housing stipend
- Airfare and ground transportation to and from internship
- Work visa sponsorship
- Attendance at our bi-annual All Hands Meeting
Application and Interview Process
- Recruiting begins in September, and we hire on a rolling basis through March. While there is no set application deadline, we do have a limited number of positions open each year, so please apply early!
- Locations include Mountain View, San Francisco, Toronto, Berlin, and Paris. Please refer to our internship listings for specific locations offered by position.
- Process starts with a resume review followed by a HackerRank challenge (technical) or document submission (non-technical).
- Upon passing, you will partake in two technical and behavioral interviews with team members (coding and situational questions are fair game) followed by a hiring manager interview and ultimately, an offer decision.
We have a position open on the following team:
Privacy and Security Intern, Emerging Technologies (Mountain View, CA)
The Strategic Foresight team is looking for a privacy and security intern to contribute to research identifying transformational opportunities in emerging spaces around security and privacy. Our team operates across the organization to support the growth of mission-aligned, ethical emerging technology products and services for the future. As we develop projects outside of the browser, we care deeply about mitigating risk and addressing the security and privacy concerns of users. Our team is exploring what it means to differentiate our emerging technology development through ethics, how to create a shared taxonomy for doing so, and who we might engage to support us in being leaders in security and privacy within and outside of the browser.
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s or PhD degree program in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related technical discipline
- Graduation date starting December 2020 and onward
- Or a recent graduate from a Coding Academy (within the last year)
- Understanding of common security standards and privacy best practices
- Understanding of Web Technologies
- Understanding of Web Tracking, Machine Learning, or Cryptography Concepts
- Reasonable fluency in and passion for technology
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Familiarity with how to access and employ a variety of resources
- Ability to interpret large amounts of data, multi-task, and produce results independently and collaboratively in a team
- Empathy for users, passion for using data to make product decisions, experience with user research techniques
- Strong communication and social skills, strong analytical and critical thinking skills, excellent organization, time management, and interpersonal skills
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity online.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.