This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago! (*)
DevOps/Backend Developer Full-time
Published at 2021-08-06 -
Viewed: 1484 times -
Norwegian Refugee Council
NRC believes in a world where the rights of displaced and vulnerable persons are protected during a crisis. We do this through our programmes, where we provide assistance to meet immediate humanitarian needs, prevent further displacement and contribute to durable solutions. At the root of our programmes are our solid technical expertise and specific sectorial knowledge aiming for the highest possible quality, whether in stand-alone or integrated approaches.
Data and technology is the fuel for decision-making, process improvement and analysis within the humanitarian sector. We are looking for an experienced, high-energy, hands-on colleague to be our DevOps/Backend Developer who will be responsible for developing and maintaining technical solutions, which will provide direct benefit to our staff and the people that we serve.
The main task will be to support the creation of an optimal development experience for various digital initiatives with a solid platform in Kubernetes-based cloud infrastructure. The initial focus will be to contribute to the ongoing development of existing NRC infrastructure and improve our infrastructure’s resilience, security, performance, and cost-effectiveness.
Working on some fast-moving and dynamic projects the position will directly influence NRC’s ability to improve the lives of millions of people in an ever-changing world. The developer will contribute to NRC open source work found here: https://github.com/nrc-no
Come work with us!
What you will do
You will work closely with other members of NRC’s D Team (Digital Transformation Team) to improve NRC infrastructure (Backbone)’s resilience, security, performance, and automation opportunities. You will provide developers with useful tooling to develop, deploy The position will also contribute to providing strategic direction, development/security standards, DevOps training for other technical staff to improve and leverage overall development practice in NRC. Some of your day-to-day tasks will include;
- Maintain and up keeping of NRC’s Kubernetes (Staging + Production) clusters – hosting global applications, including data backup and restore functions;
- Write manifests and manage automated deployment of application stacks to NRC’s Kubernetes clusters;
- Setup and maintain automated CI / CD workflows (Continuous integration & continuous delivery);
- Prepare technical documentation and specifications on a regular basis;
- Create unit test plans; contribute to functional/UAT test plans as needed;
- Provide technical oversight of external consultants’ work that includes custom design and assist in handover of these to NRC (to ensure long-term ownership);
- Support the recruitment of future NRC technical staff and support the evaluation of external technical consultants;
- Perform data migration and other integration work in a safe and controlled environment – validating these actions before going to live (production) systems;
- Communicate and represent NRC with partners, consultants, and service providers at a technical level.
What you will bring
- Bachelor degree in computer science, software engineering, or related subjects, or demonstrable expertise in the field;
- Advanced analytical skills and problem-solving attitude;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Capable of operating in an “Agile” environment and high levels of uncertainty;
- Comfortable working remotely within a geographically distributed team;
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Other languages are an asset;
- Working knowledge of automating infrastructure in a cloud environment, preferably Azure;
- Previous experience in working with infrastructure as code(Terraform) and service mesh (Istio): Ability to comfortably use and configure Istio Service Mesh features, such as:
* Authorization Policies
* Ingress and Egress gateways (with or without SNI proxy-)
* Request Authentication Policies
* Virtual services, Gateways
- Knowledge and implementation of containerization and container orchestration: We use Docker, Kubernetes, Kustomize, etc;
- Preferable skills in Cloud security and cloud network;
- Application operations knowledge (Backups, monitoring, deployment) will come in handy;
- Knowledge of one or more programming language (Go, Python, etc) and/or scripting language would be desired.
We know that you are curious and would like to learn more about this role; please click here to access the full Job Description .
What makes this position attractive?
- You will collaborate with a passionate and experienced international team doing incredibly meaningful work advocating for the rights of people forced to flee.
- Our pay is competitive based on the sectoral standard and we are committed to your growth.
- You get to work on a challenging and exciting opportunity that will provide direct benefit to NRC staff (7000 and counting) and beneficiaries (11 million and counting)
- A 1-year full-time contract (possibly extended) with Berlin as the preferred duty station but we are also open to considering other duty stations where NRC has an office (we support remote collaboration);
We are also looking for people who share our values:
- To be dedicated in what we do;
- To be innovative with our solutions;
- To act as one unified and inclusive team;
- Curiosity, eagerness to learn and passion are more important than fulfilling all the requirements! If you are passionate about humanitarian work, technology, and the role, we would love to speak with you.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We welcome early applicants!