Software Developer for the Open Science Lab (m/f/d)
2021-10-25 - at Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) in Hannover, Germany Part-time
This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago! (*)
As the German National Library of Science and Technology our future-oriented services ensure the infrastructural requirements for a high-quality supply of information and literature for research in science and industry. Our services as a university library secure the local supply for the Leibniz University Hannover.
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology – Program Area C, Research and Development, is looking to employ a
Software Engineer / Wikibase specialist at the Open Science Lab (m/f/d)
to join at the earliest possible opportunity.
The position is initially limited to three years and will be occupied subject to the allocation of funds in the NFDI4Culture project. The regular weekly working time is 39.80 hours (full-time). The position is generally suitable for part-time work. The remuneration is based up to pay scale group 13 TV-L, depending on the applicant’s qualifications and depending on the assigned tasks and responsibilities.
The Open Science Lab (OSL) of the TIB is concerned with the development towards digital, open and collaborative science and supports scientific and cultural institutions by developing and testing new methods and software tools together with their communities. We are looking for a communicative and entrepreneurial person with a strong technical background to expand the activities of the OSL in the federal and state-funded initiative to build a national research data infrastructure for material and immaterial cultural heritage assets (NFDI4Culture).
The main focus of your work will be the deployment, development and maintenance of open source knowledge management software like Mediawiki, Wikibase and OpenRefine as part of the NFDI4Culture partnership within OSL. NFDI4Culture is the cultural branch of the much larger Nationale Forschungsdateninfrastruktur (National Infrastructure for Research Data, NFDI) consortium, working towards a shared infrastructure for research data in Germany. Within 4Culture, we work with many partners whose data needs span complex 3D models, A/V files, entire digitised cultural heritage corpora and more. These partners will use services like Wikibase as repository infrastructure and may require various extensions and customizations in their individual repositories, as well as the design and development of workflows for data upload and synchronisation. You will be part of a multidisciplinary team and will have an opportunity to be an active voice in strategic discussions around the roadmap and development of services within NFDI4Culture, as well as OSL and TIB at large.
Your tasks will focus on
• Deployment, development and maintenance of software in the area of Mediawiki, Wikibase and OpenRefine
• Support for the design and implementation of data workflows within the above-mentioned software tools
• Support of NFDI partner institutions in Wikibase activities
• Contributing to testing, bug reporting, updating and documentation of open source projects (e. g. Wikibase and others) in the context of NFDI
• Contributing to the facilitation of technical meetings and workshops delivered within relevant committees of the Nationale Forschungsdateninfrastruktur
• Completed university degree (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree) in a relevant field of study such as Computer Science, Digital Arts and Humanities, Information Science or similar
• Experience working in an agile software development environment, particularly with web-based applications
• Experience with Wikimedia software environments and related open source projects
• good Knowledge of Linked Data technologies (SPARQL, RDF)
• good Knowledge of version management based on Git
• High degree of self-organisation and independent working skills
• Very good written and spoken English skills
• Very good communication skills
• Ability to work in a team
• Good project management skills
• Willingness to learn new technologies and languages
Desired additions to your profile
• Experience with Kubernetes cluster orchestration
• Experience with Docker containerization
• Professional experience in DevOps and/or systems administration
• Interest in working in a research and library environment
What we offer
In TIB’s Research and Development Department you have the opportunity to further your professional development in a dynamic and excellent research environment. We provide an intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centres being part of the Leibniz Association.
The research department at the TIB is relatively young and offers many opportunities. It is our vision to rethink the representation and provision of data and information and to organize them in an Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG) in the future. There is a close cooperation with the L3S Research Centre at Leibniz University Hannover, one of the world’s leading research institutes in the field of Web & Data Science, within the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge.
With the Open Science Lab, TIB supports the digital opening of science by helping communities to adopt new methods and tools in their practice. Research and development activities in the OSL are closely interlinked with the training of young scientists in the Information Management degree programme at Faculty III – Media, Information and Design at Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts.
Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open and creative working atmosphere in which it is fun to work.
Furthermore, we offer
• Funding for necessary equipment, conference and research visit travel
• Work in the context of a national open source project
• A portfolio of technology components to build on, including ORKG, OpenResearch.org, TIB AV-Portal, DBpedia.org and other
• A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment
• Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life such as mobile work and remote work options
• An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
• Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
• A job in the public service with a salary up to pay scale group 13 TV-L according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service in Germany (TV-L), including a special annual payment and 30 days of vacation per year
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to Prof. Dr. Ina Blümel, Open Science Lab, by mail at Ina.Bluemel@tib.eu.
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application. To submit your application, please use our online application form at our website under https://tib.eu/bewerbungsformular-76-2021eng.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 76/2021 before 23th November 2021 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to Bewerbung@tib.eu. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 550 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
1. Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature.
2. Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology
3. Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover.
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment.
We welcome applications from all nationalities.
Please indicate in the subject of your application which job exchange brought our offer to your attention.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned, and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
For more information about the TIB, please visit: https://www.tib.eu/en/
2021-10-25 - at Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) in Hannover, Germany Part-time