This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago! (*)
# Brand Designer for User Experience (UX) Team
Internet Freedom Nonprofit Seeks Brand Designed for User Experience Team
November 2, 2021
The Tor Project, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization advancing human rights and freedoms by creating and deploying free and open source anonymity and privacy technologies, is seeking a Brand Designer to be a part of the User Experience Team.
As a Brand Designer, you will be responsible for the creative direction of The Tor Project's identity wherever it is presented, ensuring our visual language is both compelling and cohesive across the organization.
Though small, the UX Team at the Tor Project is a "full stack" design team – encompassing the disciplines of graphic design, interface design, experience design, and ethical user research. Our mission is to promote the principles of human-centered design across the organization and the wider Tor community, improving our users' experiences at each point along the way.
This is a full-time remote position. Salary for this position is $75,000 USD/year and there is voluntary opt-in salary transparency for employees and contractors.
## Job Requirements
### In this role, you will:
- Establish a clear identity and brand voice, including the development of a multi-platform brand style guide to provide greater consistency going forward.
- Lead the creative development of our annual Year End Campaign, alongside other major fundraising and awareness campaigns throughout the year.
- Support broader content marketing efforts on social media, email, the Tor Project blog, press releases and more.
- Produce and manage the Tor Project's documentation templates, including reports, presentations, workshop and training materials, and anything else required by the team.
- Create high-fidelity web designs, particularly for the websites we operate that are less technical and more brand focussed (e.g. www.torproject.org).
- Collaborate extensively with and receive design critiques from the User Experience, Communications, and Fundraising teams.
Additionally, you will occasionally be expected to provide ad hoc product design support for the UX Team, including the creation of high-fidelity user interface designs and helping to maintain our web and product design systems. However, you will not be expected to undertake complex User Experience and/or Information Architecture tasks, and support from a dedicated UX Designer will always be available.
### Required experience:
- Experience designing primarily for digital brands. Although we do some print material, our audience and brand is online.
- Ability to produce original illustrations, iconography and a good understanding of typography (on that last point, we advocate for using Free and Open Source fonts wherever possible).
- Excellent proficiency with vector design tools.
- High level of organization in all aspects of the design process, from producing clean vectors, to the organization of your design files, and maintaining consistency with established style guides wherever possible.
- Comfortable working remotely with a global team distributed across many timezones.
- Sufficient proficiency in English to be able to accurately present and receive feedback on your work.
### Preferred experience (not required):
- Experience collaborating with other designers in Figma, our vector design tool of choice. However should you not have experience with Figma directly – don't worry! It should be easy for anyone used to Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, Sketch, Adobe XD or similar software to pick up.
- A history of designing or advocating for the causes of free-software, open source technology, human-rights, privacy, censorship-circumvention or an interest in internet-freedom in general.
- Familiarity with the challenges faced by our users who are subject to surveillance and censorship.
- Experience producing 3D graphics or short animations – although this is not neccessary for the role, and would simply be an added bonus.
## How to Apply
To apply, submit a cover letter, your CV/resumé and a link to or copy of a portfolio featuring recent samples of your work. In your cover letter, please include the reason you want to work at the Tor Project and explain how your qualifications meet those required in the job description.
IMPORTANT: Please email application materials in PDF format (where applicable) to job-ux at torproject dot org with "Brand Designer" in the subject line.
## About The Tor Project
The Tor Project's workforce is smart, committed, and hard working. We currently have a paid and contract staff of around 30 developers and operational support people, plus many thousands of volunteers who contribute to our work. The Tor Project is funded in part by government research and development grants, and in part by individual, foundation, and corporate donations.
Tor is for everyone, and we are actively working to build a team that represents people from all over the world - people from diverse ethnic, national, and cultural backgrounds; people from all walks of life. We encourage people subject to systemic bias to apply, including people of color, indigenous people, LGBTQIA+ people, women, and any other person who is part of a group that is underrepresented in tech.
The Tor Project has a strong culture of transparency and democratic processes, and long-standing community guidelines and cultural norms. Our community is committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment. Please read more here:
- Our Code of Conduct: https://gitweb.torproject.org/community/policies.git/tree/code_of_conduct.txt
- Our Social Contract: https://gitweb.torproject.org/community/policies.git/tree/social_contract.txt
- Our Statement of Values: https://gitweb.torproject.org/community/policies.git/tree/statement_of_values.txt
The Tor Project has a competitive benefits package, including a generous PTO policy, 16 paid holidays per year (including the week between Christmas and New Year's, and a flexible work schedule. Insurance benefits vary by employment status and country of residence.
The Tor Project, Inc. is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.