Who would you join?
We are Memri and we’re solving a big problem. Despite generating more data than ever, the data you generate isn’t easy to access or use in a way that really makes your life better. Instead it’s being stored in siloes and kept by companies that sell it to the highest bidder. Often you don’t even know what data is being gathered, and even if you know, it’s almost impossible to use. We want to fix that.
Our mission is to empower people by unlocking the potential of their data. We want to create a world where the incentives of technology are aligned with the users. Where people own and control their own data. Memri is designed to improve your relationship with technology and empower you with new tools that are useful for your day-to-day life.
We’re a values driven organization that wants to have a positive impact on the world, meaning that we prioritize people and planet over profit. To live up to those values we’re developing our product open source so that we can truly build with and for the community.
We’ve ditched traditional hierarchical organizational structures and instead work in a self-managed way where democratic values and autonomy are central.
Among the core team, we have founders who have built and sold multiple companies, and successful developer communities. We are an international company, and employ people from many different countries all around the globe (Netherlands, Costa Rica, Germany, Russia, France, Armenia, and Poland) all though most of us do work in the Central European Timezone.
Our tech stack
We use Rust for the backend, Flutter for Android, desktop and the web, Python for plug-ins.
We pick the best tool for the job, without being fanatics about any language or tool we use. We encourage following best practices and aim for improvement, not tech stagnation. We work hard to make things simple.
What’s the purpose of the role?
We are looking for a Backend/Rust Engineer who is responsible for creating and maintaining backend components of our tech stack.
What will you do when you get the job?
- Write and maintain the Pod (Personal Online Datastorage), our backend written in Rust
- Architect scalable, secure backend systems, services, and APIs
- Implementation of security and data protection systems
- Build tools that enable developers to create the next generation of machine learning powered embedded applications
- Collaborate with the rest of the team and the broader outside community to create new APIs, designs and documentation
- Help growing our open-source community, support development and do quality assurance
You should apply if the following statements are true for you:
- You have at least 5 years of experience in a statically compiled programming language such as Rust, C, Scala, Go
- You are available for 32-40 hours a week (hours are flexible)
- You are able to join meetings during CET time zone on a regular basis
- You have a growth mindset, if you don’t know Rust or other parts of our stack yet, you’re open to learn it
- Experience using a Linux server environment
- You’re motivated to play a key role in designing technical solutions with a diverse team of people that work the various parts of our stack.
- Knowing security primitives, e.g. symmetric/asymmetric encryption, containerization trade-offs. We don’t mind if you also know libsodium, ed25519, security architecture of other open-source projects, please surprise us :)
- You are interested in working in a flat & remote organization (meaning that you’ll get the chance to actively participate in how we run our organization)
- We’re an English speaking company, so you need to have sufficient reading, writing and verbal communication skills in English.
- You are happy to share a short motivational letter when you apply (applications without a motivational letter will not be processed!)
Bonus points for the following:
- Experience working and interacting with open-source communities. All of our projects are currently open-source! A link to a project or your github would be great
- Experience working with embedded databases like SQLite or similar
- Familiar with the industry’s best practices: receive and provide code reviews, write documentation, etc
- Experience in writing highly-testable software, e.g. using CI, tests, linters, code format checks, etc
- You know and can combine cryptography primitives such as pubkey cryptography, symmetrical key encryption, signing, etc
What we offer
- Compensation: Based on 40h: €6,000 – €10,000 a month and equity
- Flexible working hours
- The opportunity to join an organization and actively participate in building and shaping the organization and products.
- Occasional offline retreats somewhere on this planet to get together with the team.
- Visa sponsorship if needed
Find out more
Want to learn more about us, or just have a look through our code or community? Have a look here!
Our Discord Channel