Leitung Interne IT
2022-10-28 - at Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. in Berlin, Germany Full-time
This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago! (*)
We are looking for a Software Engineer (m/f/d) to join our Wikibase Suite Team. The position is based in Berlin and we offer hybrid workplace options.
About the position:
The Wikibase Suite is a software suite to collaboratively curate linked data that users can install on their infrastructure (also in the form of OCI container images). It is used by libraries, galleries, research groups, and the public sector alike. For example, the European Commission uses Wikibase for information around funded projects and their beneficiaries.
You will be developing open source software that puts user needs first and increases users’ satisfaction. At Wikimedia Deutschland we work towards a future in which people share the power to collect and organize the data that shapes humanity's understanding of the world.
- Build and maintain the functionality of Wikibase Suite product, collaborating with the team on finding the best solution to user problems.
- Develop Wikibase Suite software packages, ensure their correct functionality, and publish them to be installed by users
- Work in an agile work environment
- Participate in all the stages of software development as well as code, design, and architectural reviews providing constructive feedback
- Maintain a good understanding of the technical aspects of the product roadmap as well as the team goals
- Engage in constantly improving the team processes and agile practises.
What we offer:
- You will be part of a cohesive and engaged team that fosters unity and supports each other
- Flexible working hours adjusted to the team and people needs
- A diverse and inclusive bi-lingual organisation where people are the first priority
- An open-minded and positive organizational culture
- Work in cross-functional teams towards a common goal
- We dedicate one day per quarter in the department to work on any non-work-related project you want
- Opportunity for personal and professional development
- Opportunity to improve your presentation skills and to share your favourite topics in internal presentations to the other engineering teams
- Opportunity to go to conferences, both as participants and contributors
- The possibility of working from home as well as a modern and centrally located office space in Berlin
- 30 days of holidays, public transport allowance, access to complementary pension benefits, continued salary in the event of ill children, free-of-cost external life coaching
- All overtime is recorded and converted into compensatory time off
- This is a permanent contract
- You are passionate and care about software.
- You are able to communicate fluently in English
- Your background is not important as long as you have a solid understanding and experience with object oriented programming and basic experience with web development
- You have worked with OCI containers (e.g. Docker, Docker Compose)
- You like being in a team working towards a common goal, learning together, and supporting and lifting up your peers
- You have an eye for software design and quality and you understand the importance of tests
- You can recognize legacy code and know how to effectively deal with it
- You like to participate in technical discussions and are open to new ideas
- You are a fan of innovation and like to promote innovative approaches within the team
- You are not afraid of making mistakes and you learn from them
-You want to keep learning and developing yourself
Technologies we use:
Most of our server side code is written in PHP and for version control we use Git. We use Vue.js and TypeScript for our modern frontends. We also keep migrating our legacy code into these and newer technologies. Also, testing is important to us; we use testing frameworks and practice continuous integration across our projects. We currently use Docker to provide Wikibase Suite to the users.
Knowledge and experience in these technologies is not a requirement. We believe they all can be learned on the job and WMDE, your team, and your line manager will support you in this learning. We list only a few of them here.
Then apply now! Send us your detailed application documents (Resume & Motivational Letter (yes, we read them) via our job portal. Our HR team will be happy to answer your questions. We kindly ask you to refrain from application photos and information on date of birth, marital status and parents. We look forward to hearing from you!
Wikimedia Germany is committed to equal opportunities and does not discriminate on the basis of, for example, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or belief, political or other convictions, gender, age, disability or sexual identity or orientation.
About Wikimedia Deutschland:
At Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. we aim to establish and advocate for the creation, collection, and distribution of free knowledge.
In 2004, volunteer Wikipedia activists founded the non-profit association Wikimedia Deutschland in Berlin, which now consists of over 100,000 members and 160 full-time staff.
Free knowledge leads to a fairer world. Wikipedia is the most important online knowledge collection of our time. The German Wikipedia alone records almost 1 billion page views per month for a total of 2.6 million articles. We - Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. - support the volunteers of Wikipedia and its sister projects, develop free software, such as Wikidata, and advocate for free access to knowledge, the opening of education and research, and more common good orientation in data policy.