The GNOME Foundation is a nonprofit focused on making personal computing accessible and trustworthy for everyone. We sit at at the center of the GNOME project, a global community-driven software project, building a diverse and sustainable free software personal computing ecosystem, giving users control over their software and data.
We are seeking an Executive Director who is an experienced nonprofit professional with a passion for technology and a proven track record in fundraising and program delivery. You have a passion for using your strategic skills to make a difference within the technology space, and will embody our values of collaborative development of Free and Open Source software or the wider Open Culture space. You will have strategic and execution responsibilities, identifying and building partnerships and relationships for strategic gain.
You will be a prominent public face of the project and will represent the GNOME Foundation to the press, partners, advisory board, sponsors, and the community. You will work closely with the Foundation’s members, contributors, volunteers, and the wider GNOME, Free and Open Source software community to promote and market the Foundation, building public awareness and helping people learn about and benefit from GNOME’s offerings.
You will lead with empathy and have exceptional communication and persuasion skills, and be comfortable speaking to any audience, including executives, political leaders, and the GNOME and the wider Free and Open Source Software communities. English proficiency is required.
The Foundation staff is a distributed team from around the globe, working with a global community of contributors, volunteers, corporate stakeholders, and donors who support the Foundation and GNOME projects. We offer flexible working hours and locations as a matter of course. We are a small and friendly team with a passion for our unique role within the GNOME community and everything we do to support and grow the impact of our mission.
Required Skills and Experience
- 5+ years experience in nonprofit or organizational management, establishing and overseeing programs to achieve the desired mission impact
- An effective communicator, proficient with creating effective public and targeted campaigns and capable of delivering presentations about the work, mission and values of the GNOME Foundation and community
- Strong experience developing, establishing, and managing partnership relationships with stakeholders, including for-profit and nonprofit entities, both for fundraising and programmatic collaboration
- Experience growing the revenue of small organizations, growing relationships with philanthropists, grant programs and corporate donors, aiming to to grow revenues to drive impact and sustainability of the GNOME Foundation
- Staff management experience including leading hiring, onboarding, and providing day-to-day direction
- Experience managing volunteers, coordinating and motivating contributors with open and transparent processes
- Tech-savvy and works well with engineers, designers, and other disciplines
- Excellent strategic thinking skills – ability to define, challenge, interpret and align objectives into long and short-term programs that deliver high impact
- Highly organized and efficient facilitator, able to manage progress on multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience working with remote-first or distributed teams (e.g. a company that has operated in multiple locations, or ideally a globally distributed and remote workforce)
- Ability to select impactful conferences and events and willingness travel domestically in the US and internationally to represent the GNOME Foundation
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience in working in the U.S. nonprofit sector and maintaining compliance as a public charity
- Extensive use of Free and Open Source Software
*Prior experience and familiarity working with Open Source and/or Open Culture projects and organizations (e.g. EFF
, Creative Commons, WikiMedia, OSM
- Existing knowledge and relationships with other nonprofit organizations, foundations, and grantmaking organizations within the U.S. and overseas
- Ability to develop and manage program evaluations and surveys to measure and demonstrate the impact of programs
- Prior experience partnering with marketing specialists to build and run successful campaigns to reach target users directly, and build supporting materials for effective partnership engagements.
- Base salary $120k-$150k, depending on experience
- 30 days PTO (including Federal holidays)
- Unlimited sick days
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage for US applicants
- 401(k) retirement savings for US applicants with a basic safe harbor match
How To Apply
Please apply via e-mail with a covering letter and a resume to email@example.com by the June 2, 2023.