2023-06-07 - at The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) — Worldwide/Remote Full-time
This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago! (*)
Location: Remote position. Ideally applicants should be in time zones UTC +0 to UTC +4.
Application Deadline: 7 July 2023, at 11:59 P.M. CET
The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) is a growing, global nonprofit media organization that is reinventing investigative journalism for the public good. By developing and equipping a global network of investigative journalists and publishing their stories, we expose crime and corruption so the public can hold power to account. We see a future where organized crime and corruption are drastically reduced and democracy is strengthened. Our global team includes editors, researchers, data engineers, security specialists, administrators, technologists, and strategists, each with areas of in-depth expertise.
OCCRP is looking for a tech-savvy journalist to work on topics such as cryptocurrencies, darknet research, domain ownership history and social networks. Your job will be supporting our investigations and those of our member centers at the intersection of organized crime and cybercrime and help the OCCRP identify interesting stories and developments in that area.
● Work with reporters to answer their cybercrime related questions and provide guidance on how to further develop the cyber angles of their work.
● Work on OCCRP’s most high-profile investigations, including complex digital money laundering schemes.
● Suggest topics for investigations and how to approach them in a way that fits into the context of OCCRP’s reporting.
● Work in challenging conditions, with local journalists and researchers from a variety of journalistic traditions, cultures, levels of experience, and language proficiencies.
● Learn out loud, sharing tips, techniques and best practices with OCCRP’s network of reporters.
● Uphold OCCRP’s high standards for levels of proof, fairness, accuracy, and newsworthiness.
Essential Skills and Experience:
● General technical understanding of cryptocurrencies, tokens and other blockchain related technologies.
● Break down the sometimes complex cybercrime and cryptocurrency concepts into easy to understand language.
● Ability to follow the money through public ledgers and be aware of available tools to monitor transactions going through digital exchanges.
● Familiarity with marketplaces and fora where criminals exchange tools and strategies.
● Knowledge of trends and technologies related to cybercrime.
● Basic knowledge of essential internet infrastructure, such as DNS, whois records, etc.
● Comfortable working under pressure and able to meet tight deadlines.
● Able to take initiative, manage one’s own time, and incorporate feedback from others.
● Past work experience on journalistic stories.
● Experience tracking criminal cybercrime gangs.
● Knowledge of digital and operational security, including Tor, encryption, and other privacy tools.
● Experience using OSINT methodologies.
● Storytelling skills to convert complex investigations into enjoyable, readable copy.
● Ability to build partnerships with other media, and collaborate within the OCCRP network to produce award-winning stories.
● Well-versed in international politics, corruption, and organized crime, as well as cross-border money laundering networks and transnational corruption.
To apply, please email your CV and a Cover Letter to jobs(at)occrp.org
All applications must be submitted in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Whilst we have internal goals to reply to unsuccessful candidates, we regret that the high number of applicants greatly exceeds our capacity to respond to each person. We apologize that we will not be able to reply to any unsuccessful applicants.
As an equal opportunity employer, OCCRP values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, medical conditions, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process, please contact hr(at)occrp.org
2023-06-07 - at The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) — Worldwide/Remote Freelance