Artefactual Systems Inc. (https://www.artefactual.com/) provides archival management and digital preservation products and services to the cultural memory sector using open source software. We help to ensure that our international client base is able to care for the evidence of the past so that it can be trusted in the future. Though founded and still based in British Columbia, Canada, we have staff across Canada, the US, Spain, the UK, and El Salvador. We ground all our work in 4 core values: openness, collaboration, sustainability, and trustworthiness.
Artefactual values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. Our success is reliant on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who share their ideas and perspectives and participate openly in a collaborative, respectful, and supportive working environment. We are dedicated to hiring humans, not just a resume. We look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups. We invite you to apply even if you don’t think you meet all the requirements listed below.
We are not working with agencies or recruiters.
Working in the Enterprise Subscriptions team, successful candidates will play an integral role in the smooth operation, performance, and availability of Artefactual software solutions deployed in multiple customer controlled environments. Our customers want open source solutions that can be run in multiple cloud environments and in on-premise data centres, with a strong emphasis on security and reliability. You will play a key role in delivering modern technology into some of the world’s leading cultural memory organisations.
Successful candidates will be comfortable tackling challenging technical problems, building deep understanding of client needs and requirements, and iterating quickly to deliver incremental value as part of a multidisciplinary and collaborative team.
Discovering and delivering the best solutions to achieve client objectives
- Participate in the design, implementation, operation and upkeep of specific client solutions, including understanding and addressing client non-functional requirements.
- Provide evidence based guidance and recommendations; clearly communicating advantages, disadvantages and risks.
Resolving escalated customer support issues
- Provide technical support to customers and other internal teams by investigating incidents and support requests.
- Diagnose complex technical issues related to code defects, deployment, application configuration, networking or system performance.
- Identify and test solutions to resolve incidents and their underlying problems.
- Provide clear communication to customers and other stakeholders.
Supporting DevOps automation and continuous integration
- Collaborate with developers and other support engineers to automate the deployment, configuration, and maintenance of the application stack using good practices and tools.
- Utilize an infrastructure as code approach to define and manage multiple client infrastructure and application configurations in an automated and reproducible manner.
Responsible for system maintenance and upgrades
- Perform regular maintenance tasks for multiple client environments, including upgrades, patching, monitoring, and capacity planning, to ensure stability and optimal performance.
- Collaborate with Enterprise clients IT stakeholders to advise on and align maintenance procedures.
Improving processes continually
- Continuous improvement in tech and software processes and practices.
- Create and maintain technical documentation, troubleshooting guides, infrastructure diagrams, and good practices for deployment and maintenance processes.
- Quickly start contributing, help others to contribute and improve.
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience with DevOps practices and tools
- Experience in application support or similar roles, with a focus on supporting and maintaining complex software systems
- Proficiency in troubleshooting distributed systems, including containerization, networking, and performance optimization
- Works great in a team setting
- Strong drive to learn and improve continually
- Good communication skills in English
- Comfortable and productive in a Linux development and deployment environment
- Remote work with at least 4 hours overlap with 8am-12pm Pacific Standard Time
- Legally able to work in Canada
Nice to haves
- Strong understanding of Kubernetes concepts, architecture, and best practices.
- Programming and scripting proficiency (e.g., Python, Bash) for automation tasks.
- Experience working in Agile methodologies and practices
- Experience with Cloud Native technologies
- Experience working in open source software projects and communities
- Familiarity with any of the key technologies in our technology stack:
- k3s or k8s
- Temporal.io: an open-source, stateful, and distributed workflow orchestration platform
- Go, Typescript: familiarity with designing, deploying or supporting golang and Typescript applications
- Monitoring systems such as Grafana and Prometheus
databases such as MySQL
- Authentication and authorization systems and concepts (Dex, OpenID, LDAP)
- Education and/or experience working in the Cultural memory sector (in Archives, Galleries, Museums or Libraries)
How to apply
Submit your covering letter and CV addressing this posting’s job skills and qualifications to email@example.com.
Name your file with your last name then first name and then the name of the job posting. For example: SmithRebecca_ApplicationSupportEngineer.pdf
Deadline to apply
August 7th, 2023