17.11.2012 - at Open Technology Institute in Washington DC, United States Full-time
This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago! (*)
The Open Internet Tools Project (OpenITP) seeks a part-time experienced software translator to translate Free and Open Source circumvention and privacy tools into Farsi. The ideal candidate will be tech-savvy, friendly, proficient in software translation, and an enthusiastic team player who works well without daily management. We are looking for a candidate with connections to or experience
working with existing online translation communities.
OpenITP supports and incubates a collection of free and open source projects that enable anonymous, secure, reliable, and unrestricted communication on the Internet. Its goal is to enable people to talk directly to each other without being censored, surveilled or restricted. OpenITP works to make its projects more accessible to both users and developers, building collaborative, sustainable tools that enhance whole categories of communication technology.
OpenITP operates out of New York and Washington, DC. Remote applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Research free and open source projects.
- Develop community of translators.
- Interface with software developers to identify translation needs.
- Facilitate communication with team members and projects.
The ideal candidate will meet at least some of the following qualifications, though it is not necessary to meet all of them and we expect the Farsi Translator to learn new skills and grow while in the position:
- Fluency in Farsi and English.
- Proficiency in other languages spoken in Iran and the region a plus (Azeri Turkish, Kurdish, Gilaki, Arabic).
- A demonstrated interest in the values, mission and technologies supported by OpenITP.
- Familiarity with software translation a plus (.po files, Transifex, Launchpad Translations, etc.).
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience collaborating with wikis, IRC and distributed version control tools.
- Ability to adapt to new tools, environments and tasks.
- Familiarity with software translation a plus (.po files, Transifex, etc.).
- Experience building Free and Open Source translation communities.
- Technical knowledge of and experience with circumvention tools.
- Experience translating mobile apps, especially in Androids a plus.
- Experience with private communication software, especially GPG or PGP.
- Excellent leadership, communication and teamwork skills.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume. No phone calls please. The New America Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.