Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Software Engineer - MultimediaPublished at 14.12.2012 - Viewed: 2314 times - Wikimedia Foundation in San Francisco, United States
YOU ARE …
… a smart, experienced PHP/MySQL software developer with operations experience, who enjoys working with (and learning from) other smart engineers. You are passionate about Wikimedia’s mission to bring free knowledge to every person on the planet, and you want to make Wikipedia and other Wikimedia-operated websites better. You want to make a difference in millions of peoples’ lives.
Ideally, you are familiar with MediaWiki, the primary software used by Wikimedia. You also understand the practical realities of delivering audio and video to various browsers and operating systems, and have a knack for building easy-to-use systems that hide complexity from end-users who are more focused on content than the delivery of it.
You understand the principles of open source software development. You recognize the importance of building a global community of supporters for Wikimedia’s mission, and strive to enlist others in helping us.
If much or all of this applies to you — please send us a thoughtful application letter and tell us why you’re the right person for the job! :-)
This position for a member of a newly-forming team of engineers focused on multimedia projects. The Software Engineer will be responsible for building and maintaining:
- Image, audio, and video uploading systems
- Media management infrastructure (large file management and storage)
- Media metadata display and editing features in MediaWiki
- Media delivery and playback technology
- 5+ years of related work experience preferred
- 3+ years of experience building web-based multimedia applications
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related field preferred
- Extensive experience building large-scale server applications
- Expert knowledge developing and debugging in Linux (LAMP) environments
- Excellent knowledge of PHP
- Excellent knowledge of MySQL and other relational databases
- Experience with operating system internals, filesystems, programming language design, compilers, distributed systems, or server architectures
- Excellent knowledge of other scripting languages such as bash and Python a plus
- Experience working in an open source project
- Experience in the Wikipedia community a plus
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. According to comScore Media Metrix, Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation receive more than 482 million unique visitors per month, making them the 5th most popular web property worldwide. Available in more than 270 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 21 million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of more than 100,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501©(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and grants. The Wikimedia Foundation was created in 2003 to manage the operation of Wikipedia and its sister projects. It currently employs 130 staff members. Wikimedia is supported by local chapter organizations in 38 countries or regions.
How to apply