This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago! (*)
Join Wikimedia in our ambitious project to empower people to create and share the sum of all human knowledge. Wikimedia’s legal team advises the nonprofit that hosts Wikipedia and other free educational projects. This means solving many legal questions that no one has thought about before. We are looking for a fellow who can assist on a range of intellectual property and internet law issues. You should have a strong academic record and a passion for sharing and remixing on the internet.
This is a full-time position based in San Francisco.
- Defend free knowledge consistent with the Wikimedia Guiding Principles.
- Assist on a wide range of legal topics, with an emphasis on IP and questions that implicate the Wikimedia editor community.
- Work collaboratively with teams in the Wikimedia Foundation and volunteers in the Wikimedia movement.
- JD and excellent academic credentials
- Great understanding of intellectual property, privacy, and other internet law issues.
- Extensive understanding of the Wikimedia movement.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Dedicated, hardworking, passionate, and able to complete projects independently.
- Comfortable in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment.
- Ability to learn on the job, spot issues, think fast, and comfortably deal with complex and ambiguous issues with sound judgment.
- Authorized to practice law in California (as California Bar member or by qualifying as in-house registered counsel).
- Experience with open source, free culture, or other online communities.
- A degree in computer science, engineering, or related experience, and have a good understanding of software engineering processes and issues.
- Ability to speak other languages, experience living or working outside the United States, or past work on international legal issues are a major plus.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation receive more than 431 million unique visitors per month, making them the 5th most popular web property worldwide. Available in more than 287 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 32 million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of more than 100,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and grants. The Wikimedia Foundation was created in 2003 to manage the operation of Wikipedia and its sister projects. It currently employs over 208 staff members. Wikimedia is supported by local chapter organizations in 40 countries or regions.