Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Visual DesignerPublished at 04.01.2013 - Viewed: 2739 times - Wikimedia Foundation in San Francisco, United States
Be a part of the team that defines the visual language of Wikipedia! The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a UX Designer to help design the interfaces of Wikipedia and its sister websites. The UX Designer will work with engineers, product managers, and other designers (e.g., Interaction Designers) to create interfaces that delight and excite our users. Ideal candidates will have demonstrated production experience for both web and mobile. The role best suits someone who is self-motivated with a passion for information design and typography. You will work with the Wikimedia design team to define the design language and solve visual design problems for Wikipedia and related products.
Though this is primarily a visual design position, we will strongly favor candidates with demonstrated experience in User Experience Design in addition to the skills outlined below.
- Creating visually pleasing and delightful interface elements that excite our users.
- Design and produce icons and other UI elements for web and mobile
- Create a consistent look across Wikipedia and WMF projects. Develop a visual toolkit in collaboration with other designers
- Knowledge and ability to design across web and devices (e.g., mobile and tablet)
- Produce stylistic approaches that are culturally relevant to our community
- Consistently deliver visual design that balances aesthetics against function for our reader and editor community
- 1-3 years of UX design experience for web and/or mobile (new grads considered)
- Portfolio showcasing your experience in designing desirable user interfaces
- Experience in executing responsive/scalable user interface elements for web and mobile
- Expertise in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Understanding the capabilities and limitations of modern GUI technologies
- Knowledge of HTML and an understanding of how visual compositions translate to code
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience in contributing to Wikipedia as an editor is a big plus
- Demonstrated knowledge in iOS, Android, and mobile web design patterns
- BA/BS or MA/MS in graphic design, HCI, or closely related fields
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is a San Francisco-based nonprofit committed to building a world in which everyone can freely share in the sum of all human knowledge.
Our projects include Wikipedia, which contains more than 17 million volunteer-authored articles in more than 280 languages. As a group, these projects represent the largest collection of shared knowledge in human history, built and edited by millions of people over the past decade. They are the highest traffic web properties running on free and open source software: Wikipedia alone is visited by more than 480 million people monthly, making it the 5th most-popular site in the world. The Wikimedia Foundation sustains and supports this volunteer community by providing needed operating, technical, and managerial infrastructure.
How to apply