Job details « Go back to category
Full-time PHP Software DeveloperPublished at 14.11.2016 - Viewed: 1984 times - Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. in Berlin, Germany
Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V. is a non-profit organisation based in Berlin, Germany. With more than 80 employees and 35.000 members, it is the oldest and largest of more than 40 independent chapters of the international Wikimedia movement. The most well-known Wikimedia project, the free online encyclopedia Wikipedia, is used by millions of people across the world every day and is continuously updated and improved by millions of users.
In the software development department, we are building open source software that impacts the world. One of the main projects of the department is Wikidata, a free and open knowledge base containing general-purpose data about the world. Wikidata is Wikimedia’s central data repository. It is the building block of Wikimedia’s and Wikipedia’s future. Wikidata’s community and development team are working every day to give more people more access to more knowledge.
We are looking for a PHP Software Developer with focus on backend to join our teams working in our office in the heart of Berlin.
As a PHP Software Developer you will work on programming and maintaining backend functionality of Wikidata and other services. You will be responsible for devising, implementing and testing new features in line with the product plan.
- You care about software; you have a passion which you can clearly convey by your actions rather than personal statements on your CV,
- You have an eye for software design and quality,
- You can recognize legacy code and know how to effectively deal with it,
- You are able to communicate fluently in English in a multidisciplinary team,
- For you it’s more than a job.
Our engineering teams are cross-functional, self-organizing and highly autonomous. You’ll be working directly with the Product Owner and be able to interact with various stakeholders in the community.
Among other things, testing, refactoring and pair programming are encouraged. We’re constantly trying to improve the way we work.
We are offering you:
- joining internal presentations by our developers on topics they are enthusiastic about,
- attending local user groups during work time and we regularly go to conferences, both as attendees and participants
- you will have a noticeable impact on the top four visited websites in the world.
Here is an (incomplete) list of technologies we currently use:
- MediaWiki, several MediaWiki extensions
- PHPUnit, QUnit, Selenium, Cucumber, PHPCS, PHPMD, JSLint
- Git, Gerrit
- MySQL, SQLite
- TravisCI, ScrutinizerCI
All Software we develop is open source and we also contribute back to various projects we use. Many of our components are published in a form that allows reuse outside of our own projects.
To begin your application, please answer the questions and complete the exercises at Hackerrank. When you have any questions please contact email@example.com .
Wikimedia Deutschland commits itself to the principles of equal opportunity and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic origin, nationality, religion, political or other opinion, gender, age, disability or sexual identity or orientation.