Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Linux Weekly News EditorPublished at 22.12.2016 - Viewed: 1560 times - LWN.net (Worldwide/Remote)
(initially posted on August 3, but still open as of Dec 22)
Do you have an interest in helping to create the best free software technical information site on the net? Here at LWN.net, we have an opening for a full-time editor who can help us toward that goal.
LWN is driven by a small, results-oriented group of people with a strong technical background; we also, obviously, care strongly about Linux and free software. We have been publishing since 1998, and plan to be around for a long time yet. To do that, we would like to bring somebody in who wants to help us expand our content, grow our reader base, and, in general, make LWN an even more useful and fun resource.
If you feel you can meet the following requirements, we would like to hear from you:
- Top-notch English-language writing skills with a demonstrated history of writing for a highly technical audience.
- Interest in (and use of) Linux and free software. Candidates must understand both the software and the community that creates it.
- An ability to meet (sometimes tight) deadlines.
- Willingness to travel worldwide for conferences and other community events.
- A “do what it takes” attitude suited to a startup-like environment where there is far too much work to do, along with a willingness to be a part of our long-term decision-making process.
Nice to haves:
- Software development experience. Python experience is a definite plus; kernel development experience is a major plus.
- Experience with and interest in social-media promotion and engagement techniques.
- Graphic design experience.
- Business development, marketing, and/or sales ideas and experience.
- A strong opinion in the Emacs-vs-vi debate — as long as it’s for Emacs.
LWN.net is based in Colorado, USA, but we work from home and are willing to consider applicants living anywhere in the world. For those in the USA, compensation would include coverage under our health insurance plan. We also offer other benefits (e.g. paid vacation and holidays).
Please feel free to pass this along to anyone you know who might be qualified and interested. Applicants should send an email to ‘email@example.com’ describing why they feel they are a good fit for the position. Résumé/CV is optional, but should most certainly be in a free format, preferably text.