Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Engineering ManagerPublished at 03.02.2017 - Viewed: 1677 times - Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. in Germany
Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V. is a non-profit organisation based in Berlin, Germany. With more than 80 employees and about 35.000 members, it is the oldest and largest of more than 40 independent chapters of the international Wikimedia movement. The most well-known Wikimedia project, the free online encyclopaedia Wikipedia, is used by millions of people across the world every day and is continuously updated and improved by millions of users.
Wikimedia Deutschland furthers these ideals even beyond the free encyclopaedia: It is our aim to establish and promote the creation, collection, and distribution of free knowledge in all parts of society. Our objective is to create a world in which the sum of all human knowledge is freely accessible for everyone. The main focus of our activities is the support of volunteers, the development of technology and software, public education, and cooperation with cultural and scientific institutions. We grant scholarships to volunteers working for Wikimedia projects and we provide technical support. On both the national and EU-level, we are advocating a legal framework which allows for free knowledge to become part of our everyday life.
Engineering Manager at Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. support engineers and designers who build features, products and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. As experienced and hands-on Engineering Manager you enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
You will join our Software Development Department where we work on Wikidata, a free collaborative, free licenced database to store the knowledge of the world. We also developing technical products & features for the german speaking Wikipedia. You’ll supporting teams that work on exciting open source technologies like the Wikidata Query Service. Our Software Engineers working on ambitious projects like Wikidata, the Technical Wishlist or the local Fundraising.
As an Engineering Manager, we’d like you to do these things
- Organize teams to be effective in meeting their goals
- Develop goals and track progress publicly and collaboratively
- Represent team members within the organization and publicly
- Coordinate with other teams and departments and take care of agile engineering processes
- Support your team’s members to develop their individual career paths
- Recruit and hire new team members
- Write code for our products and projects with our Developers and Engineers
What we are offering you
- We have internal presentations by our developers on topics they are enthusiastic about
- You can attend local user groups during work time and you are encouraged to do so
- You will have a noticeable impact on one of the top four visited websites in the world
- We regularly go to conferences, both as attendees and participants
- Our development teams are cross-functional, self-organizing and highly autonomous. No single team leaders or middle management. You’ll be working directly with the product owner.
- Among other things, testing, refactoring, and pair programming are encouraged. We’re constantly trying to improve the way we work.
All software we develop is Open Source, and we contribute back to various projects we use. Many of our components are published in a format that allows reuse outside of our own projects.
Wikimedia Deutschland commits itself to the principles of equal opportunity and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic origin, nationality, religion, political or another opinion, sex, age, disability or sexual identity or orientation.