Job details « Go back to category
Part-time Developer for OpenAerialMapPublished at 21.03.2017 - Viewed: 2004 times - Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (Worldwide/Remote)
Application deadline: Friday, March 31, 2017
Place of work: Remote
HOT is hiring a developer to join the OpenAerialMap project part-time. OAM is a set of open source tools that together build an imagery publishing and sharing platform. Over the next year, OAM will be building out features to improve and increase imagery available within the system as well as improve the user experience to make it easier and faster to access imagery.
In addition to helping provide ongoing support, a key component of the role is to implement strategies to increase imagery available within the system. Working closely with HOT staff and OAM partners, specific tools and features will be scoped out to support integrating additional imagery into the system.
You will be asked to get involved in all aspects of OAM. You’ll strategize, design, and help troubleshoot to support the entire OAM ecosystem.
What you will do:
- Increase of the amount of imagery available through OpenAerialMap with new system components and improvements to the existing user interface
- Develop new tools for improving incoming and outgoing integrations of OAM
- Develop code to help capture and evaluate system usage and user experience
- Support continued development of OAM components based on community and user feedback
What you will own:
- Generate weekly development backlogs and work closely with HOT staff and community members to determine weekly priorities.
- Implement weekly backlogs and communicate progress via Github and Slack.
- Provide support to help debug and resolve issues for all OpenAerialMap components through pull requests of patches and Github issue communication.
- Work with HOT sysadmin and staff to develop and implement strategies for maintaining system uptime.
- Join and contribute to bi-weekly technical working group meetings.
Qualifications we’re looking for:
- Experience developing frontend and backend applications from start to finish.
- Well versed in: Node.js, Python, SQL or NoSQL databases.
- Projects documented on Github, Bitbucket or other code sharing platforms.
- Knowledgeable of GDAL and other open source imagery processing software, as well as shell and Python scripting.
- An excellent communicator. Ability to show empathy through online communication.
Position will be on a contract basis for six months at an estimated 10-20hrs/week (hourly rate will be budget dependent). Contract can be carried out remotely. Frequent communication with team and community members spread around the world will be required.
How to apply
To apply, send the following to email@example.com with OpenAerialMap in the subject line:
- A short cover letter about why you’re interested in HOT and OAM (Max 300 words)
- Your resume or CV (Max 2 pages)
- Examples of your work. This can be links to your website, Github or other code repositories, or live running code.
If this sounds interesting but you don’t feel that you have the qualifications, still send us a note.