Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Project ManagerPublished at 01.05.2013 - Viewed: 2208 times - OpenGeo in United States
Software Project Manager
OpenGeo provides the best open source enterprise geospatial software, support, and features to enterprises and governments around the world, providing solutions to challenges as wide ranging as transportation and disaster management. Our software allows researchers, planners, and others to share and edit data using open standards. Our platforms have grown into true, open communities, with a focus on usability, modularity, and good documentation.
The Software Project Manager will help lead several large-scale revolving projects through the phases of discovery, design, and technical implementation. The ability to think quickly and analytically in a fast-paced environment are essential, passion for the details as well as an ability to see the big picture are critical. Enthusiastic problem-solving with a need to be engaged at all levels of a project? Even better.
As the key point of contact for both client and project teams, you will play a pivotal role in the success of this work. You must be organized, self-directed, and passionate about using your skills to make information ever more free and accessible.
- Work with technical leads and clients to manage large software projects through all phases of the development process;
- Monitor day-to-day activities of the project teams and ensure work is progressing as planned;
- Develop and evangelize the OpenGeo project management methodology and project processes;
- Regularly communicate and document project status and strategic recommendations to clients, team members, and OpenGeo leadership;
- Actively monitor project risks and scope creep to identify potential problems and proactively address them in advance;
- Effectively and efficiently plan and prioritize all deliverables and resources across all project(s);
- Coordinate in getting common application components into our core open source libraries and in building new communities around our projects;
We’re looking for gifted manager and application developers who have:
- 3-5 years in interactive project management;
- Proven track record leading software development projects;
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, support, and understand technical project teams;
- Experience tying project work to product and business goals;
- Strong attention to detail with equal focus on task completion;
- Understanding of enterprise software systems fundamentals and methodologies;
- Competencies in MS Project, bug tracking, and related communication tools.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with open source software and communities;
- Background in geospatial technology;
- PMP, Scrum Master, or other project management certifications;
- Mobile and social media experience;
- Strong preference for candidates located in New York, Washington DC
OpenGeo is a small but growing organization focused on bringing the best enterprise open source geospatial software to organizations and governments around the world. Our team is distributed from Austria to Argentina, with higher concentrations in New York City, Washington DC, and Victoria, BC. We’d love to have you in one of our “hubs”, but if you’re far away and really good we can live with that.
Send your resume and cover letter (via this webform ) and be sure to let us know why you’re interested in working for OpenGeo.