Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Full-Stack Node JS DeveloperPublished at 09.04.2017 - Viewed: 538 times - The Coral Project (Worldwide)
Contract position, 2-4 months, possibility of extension
40 hours / week
The internet has a people problem.
Many online communities are fragile, toxic spaces. Some people have given up on engaging altogether. But we believe that healthy online communities can exist, given the right systems and tools – and that the future of journalism depends on strong online relationships.
That’s why Mozilla, The New York Times, and The Washington Post have come together as The Coral Project. We build industry-leading open source software that brings journalists and the communities they serve closer together.
We’re looking for a full-stack developer to join our team on a contract basis for at least the next 2-4 months, to help us create amazing user experiences on our open-source comment platform.
You have strong background in developing Node applications that are secure, scale, play well with other apps and are a pleasure to extend and maintain (or as close to pleasurable as maintenance can be.)
You’ll architect and implement features, and also have the opportunity to work with teams in newsrooms across the world who are integrating our platform onto their sites. You’ll work either from New York, inside the New York Times, or remotely.
This is a contractor role beginning asap.
What you have:
- Passion for improving the state of comments/community around journalism
- Strong Node JS application development experience
- Experience with MongoDB, especially aggregation pipelines
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work remotely
What you might have that would be great:
- Experience with GraphQL
- Use of the Apollo GraphQL client
- Experience with React and Redux
- Open Source experience
What you will do:
- Work in a delivery-based, agile environment, with a supportive, open, and diverse team that is primarily remote
- Work closely with product and tech stakeholders to deliver on stories, give feedback to team members via code reviews and architectural reviews, and contribute to making the product secure, solid, and user-friendly
- Participate in video team meetings, such as daily scrums/standups, sprint planning, and estimation sessions
- Contribute to the architecture of the application, with the goal of making it easy for open source contributors to build plugins and code that make the product sustainable in the long-term
- Help us make the internet a better place for everyone!
If you’re deeply interested in working on full-stack development and have relevant skills and experience, please consider applying even if your background doesn’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
The first phase of the project runs until July 2017. There is a strong possibility of continuing with the project beyond that date.
Please apply today! To apply, send a cover letter, your work history, and hourly rate to email@example.com