Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Technical Project Manager for Human Rights ProgramPublished at 13.06.2013 - Viewed: 2427 times - Benetech in Palo Alto, United States
Benetech is seeking a Technical Project Manager to manage a multi-year, multi-million dollar project that includes both software development and international trainings, in collaboration with several technical and field partners.
Benetech was founded with the goal of identifying unmet social needs and harnessing the power of technology to create software-based solutions to meet them. We have four main program areas—Human Rights, Access to Literacy, Social Impact Technology, and Environment—and focus on projects that offer the greatest social return on the funds invested. Jim Fruchterman, social entrepreneur and MacArthur Fellow, founded Benetech in 1989 and leads the organization as its President & CEO.
Our Human Rights Program is anchored by Martus, an open source information management tool developed by Benetech and made available for free, which allows users anywhere in the world to securely document abuse that is occurring. There are cross-platform client, server, and mobile (Android) components of the Java-based Martus software. Our field staff have trained hundreds of groups and individuals, in over 40 countries, on how to use Martus to help capture these stories of abuse so that advocates and activists have the documentation that is often necessary to pursue reform, seek justice and begin reconciliation.
The position requires a solid foundation in managing cross-functional projects and working in a technical, small company environment. Our ideal candidate will combine a passion for human rights and tech with a penchant for tracking details and the ability to lead a talented team and diverse set of partners to successful realization of our plans.
This position is full time, and based in Palo Alto, California, with occasional domestic travel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage a multi-year, multiple million dollar, federally funded project within the Human Rights Program, anchored by the Martus software. The project includes both software development (to add visualization and mapping to the Martus Client software, UI/UX enhancements, deployment of Mobile Martus for Android, translation updates, and integration with other digital security tools) and international training (including training of trainer) components.
- Coordinate deliverables of Benetech’s software and field teams, as well as those of our technical and training project implementation partners.
- Manage funder program officer relationship and reporting.
- Work closely with Human Rights Program Vice President and Product Director to achieve goals for the project, identify and resolve issues, and manage project resources.
- Create project plans and budgets, and revise as appropriate to meet changing needs.
- Manage and communicate changing priorities, timelines, risk assessment, and internal and external project expectations.
- Track progress against grant objectives and communicate status to Senior Management and Fundraising Teams.
- Schedule and facilitate internal and external project meetings.
- Provide Martus product management support, which may include tracking partner/user requirements, assisting with feature prioritization, authoring/revising product documents, and outreach and communications for releases.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree with at least five years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least three years of hands-on project management, preferably in a software development environment.
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, technical writing, negotiation, and leadership skills.
- Solid working knowledge of budgeting and budget management, partnership management, and reporting.
- Experience with Agile development concepts, software release planning, technical documentation and training materials, and bug and feature tracking systems.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment, and able to manage and lead cross-functional teams.
- Must be able to roll up sleeves and get work done, juggling details and changing priorities, balancing user and funder needs, and managing day-to-day issues while at the same time keeping the end goals in perspective.
- Confidence, flexibility, and the ability to plan, and manage change are essential.
- Ability to work well within a multi-disciplinary team environment with high standards, integrity, and a sense of humor.
- Experience in managing projects across multiple organizations and where a significant portion of the team is often traveling or geographically dispersed.
- Experience guiding the work of contractors and ability to work collaboratively with technical and training partners in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Exceptional judgment and enthusiasm, interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability to understand the languages of both international human rights and technology, to represent the needs of our field users and understand how to communicate them to our software development team.
- Interest in a wide range of human rights issues – our field partners work in varying spheres such as social/political/economic justice, including LGBT rights, gender-based violence, children in armed conflict, torture, government accountability among others. Applicant should be interested in learning about the challenges that our partners face, and working collaboratively with them to determine how to best meet their goals (vs. coming in and telling them what they should do).
- Personal belief in and enthusiasm for Benetech’s goal of technology serving humanity. Commitment to our mission to support and strengthen the capacity of human rights advocates around the world.
- Combination of both business/tech and nonprofit experience preferred.
If you would like to help us grow Benetech, please submit your resume and a cover letter through JobScore. In your cover letter, please explain why you would like to work for us and your relevant non-profit or volunteer experience.
Salaries at Benetech are commensurate with education, experience and responsibility. Benetech staff are compensated well by nonprofit standards, but are not competitive with private-sector technology company positions.