Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Operations Engineer (Cloud Services)Published at 27.10.2017 - Viewed: 1911 times - Wikimedia Foundation (Worldwide/Remote)
“Location: Remote or San Francisco, CA”
Come work within the Technology department at the Wikimedia Foundation! We are administering a public OpenStack cloud (Infrastructure as a Service) with a modern Platform as a Service (Kubernetes) running on it. We are dedicated to supporting developers within and outside of the Wikimedia Foundation. Candidates need to be comfortable sharing ideas, providing guidance, following instructions, mentoring volunteers, and communicating in public and asynchronous ways (mailing lists/forums/irc). Our team works remotely and so can you!
“As a Cloud Services Operations Engineer, we’d like you to do these things:”
- Perform day-to-day operational tasks on Wikimedia’s Cloud Services infrastructure (deployment, maintenance, configuration, troubleshooting)
- Support volunteer and staff developers using Infrastructure as a * Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) products
- Assist in the architectural design of new services and making them operate at scale
- Assist in or lead incident response, diagnosis and followup on system outages or alerts across our stack
- On-call support and off-hours coverage in a 24×7 environment
“Experience we’d like you to bring to the table:”
- Mid to senior level engineering mindset and experience in Linux ecosystems
- Experience offering first line technical support to peers and/or customers * Solid development history with interpreted languages (Python preferred)
- Capable of explaining the basic operations of TCP/IP networks
- Experience operating an elastic computing environment for customers (OpenStack, Cloudstack, …)
- Experience running Docker and/or container technologies in a production environment
- Demonstrable experience developing and debugging web applications
- Experience using a configuration management platform such as Puppet
- Strong verbal and written proficiency with the English language
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in work experience
“And it would be even more awesome if you have any experience with any of these:”
- Experience interacting with open source software projects and communities
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, Mesos, or similar container orchestration platforms
- Experience with Golang
- Ceph or other storage management experience
- Low level systems troubleshooting and debugging skills (CPU/memory profiling, C/C++ experience, in-depth Linux knowledge)
“About the Wikimedia Foundation”
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and hosts Wikipedia and several other Wikimedia free knowledge sites. Every month, the Wikimedia sites are accessed by more than a billion unique devices. Wikipedia consists of more than 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more than 250,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501©(3) non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It currently employs over 300 staff members.
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
“Benefits & Perks”
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
- for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location