This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago! (*)
Program Manager, Maintainers Full-time
Published at 2017-11-28 -
Viewed: 3143 times -
in United States
GitHub is home to developers who maintain some of the most critical open source projects in the world. Their code is used by millions of people globally: on phones and laptops, as well as in banks and rocketships.
These maintainers use GitHub to build the world. As developers, they are some of GitHub’s biggest power users. Earlier this year, we started to offer them dedicated community offerings and resources. We created a private discussion forum, an early access beta program, and regular meetups, but we think there’s much more to do.
We’re looking for someone to grow these programs into something big. Maintainers should feel special, because they are special. We want them to have all the resources they need to succeed. You will have the opportunity to define this vision, and you’ll be responsible for the success of these programs. Your decisions will impact thousands of world-class developers and millions of people’s lives.
- Develop a compelling vision and brand for GitHub’s maintainer programs. Where do we go in 6 months? In 1 year? 5 years?
- Identify, grow, and manage our key program offerings (for example: in-person meetups, early access beta). These should deepen relationships between maintainers, as well as their relationship with GitHub, both online and offline
- Work with GitHub’s events team to host offline meetups, such as Maintainerati
- Moderate day-to-day community activity in the private discussion forum
- Represent the voice of maintainers internally, working with teams across the company to bring your insights back into GitHub
- Experience growing a VIP program for engaged and passionate power users (ex. pro gamers, online sellers, content creators), especially in a creative industry
- Strong writing and communication skills
- You are direct, proactive, and opinionated. You should thrive on working autonomously, with minimal direction.
- You’re creative, thoughtful, and biased towards execution. You have ideas, and you’ll do what it takes to make them happen.
- You enjoy working with users on a regular basis
- You’re comfortable working with developers. You don’t need to be a developer, but you can hold technical conversations with developers.
- An understanding of open source is a plus, but not required. We’re more interested in your experience with growing communities.
Also see https://twitter.com/nayafia/status/935527437055746049