This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago! (*)
Published at 2017-11-30 -
Viewed: 1497 times -
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Free, up-to-date maps are a critical resource when relief organizations are responding to disasters or political crises. The Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) creates and provides those maps. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies a huge network of volunteers to create, online in OpenStreetMap, the maps that enable responders to reach those in need.
HOT is hiring a part-time engineer to work closely with our Director of Technology and Project Managers in support of mission-critical open source web mapping tools and services. While most duties can be performed remotely, frequent communication is required with the Executive Director, Director of Technology, and HOT staff and volunteers. Working schedule is part-time, approximately 1-3 hours per day, 5 days per week.
HOT has a diverse technology stack and utilizes a number of cloud provider services. We’re looking for an experienced person who is well-versed in web and cloud-computing and is eager to develop an infrastructure with HOT staff and volunteers in an open source software environment. In addition to supporting currently running services, a key component of responsibilities will be to support the HOT community and projects through collaborating on decision making, listening about needs and developing solutions, and helping curate a tech support community.
What you will do:
- Administer, maintain, and support all HOT servers and community-critical applications including Tasking Manager, OSM Export Tool, OpenAerialMap, OSM Analytics, and HOT website. This includes administering our cloud-providers like AWS, Heroku, Hetzner, and Microsoft Azure.
- Support manual and automated deployment of code to staging and production environments.
- Develop backup and monitoring of all applications and services, including ensuring and improving the security of all HOT applications and services.
- Support volunteers, developers, and project managers for all HOT applications and services
- Join and contribute to bi-weekly technical working group meetings.
What you will own:
- Generate weekly backlogs and work closely with HOT staff and community members to determine weekly priorities.
- Implement weekly backlogs and communicate progress via Github and Slack.
- Provide support to help debug and determine how to resolve issues for all HOT applications through pull requests of patches and Github issue communication.
- Work with HOT staff to develop and implement strategies for maintaining system uptime.
- Provide technical guidance to existing and new HOT software development projects.
Qualifications we’re looking for:
- Significant experience in cloud-computing architecture and administration (AWS EC2, S3, etc); expert level Linux administration and security including shell scripting, Docker, and Git
- Experience developing modern web applications. Well versed in: Node.js, Python, SQL and NoSQL databases.
- An excellent communicator. Ability to show empathy through online communication.
- Fluent in English
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
* Minimum 2 years experience in a devops or support engineer role. Experience with both virtual and physical servers, and working with open source software and communities
* Participation in OpenStreetMap related projects
* Experience working within a nonprofit or NGO environment
* Experience working with geospatial software and data
* Drupal experience
* Angular, Jekyll experience a plus
Email CV, Cover Letter (1 page max), and LinkedIn, Github, or other online profile URL to email@example.com with the subject line “Support Engineer”. Include links to your Github, Bitbucket, Gitlab, or other sites to share your previous projects or work completed.