Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Senior Compiler Engineer (GNU Tools)Published at 31.05.2018 - Viewed: 526 times - ARM in Manchester or Cambridge, United Kingdom
Develop an open source toolchain for one of the most popular CPU architectures in Cambridge or Manchester, UK. As part of the Development Solutions Group, this role is for a Senior Compiler Software Engineer who will contribute to the development of Arm’s next generation of processors. Your experience in compiler and toolchain will enable you to contribute to Arm’s cutting-edge development program.
You will join a team of hardworking professional software engineers who all share a real passion for open source software and for wanting to stamp their mark on the future of computing, wherever it may lead. If you share a similar passion we want to hear from you!
Job Purpose and Accountabilities
We are looking for experienced engineers who have a strong knowledge of compilers along with proven technical skills. You will join the team responsible for developing and improving the Arm GNU Tools software eco-system (GCC, GAS, GDB, glibc, etc), which often involves working with processors and other hardware technology not yet available to the general public. Work will be carried out on a range of development platforms, models and FPGAs.
You will contribute to providing first class open source tools support across Arm’s architecture and processor portfolio (current architectures, as well as the new ARMv8 AArch64 architecture). This will involve all aspects of toolchain development, collaborating with open source communities, participating to developer conferences and working with semiconductor partners and customers.
You will be expected to complete tools development tasks assigned to you mostly independently, and report status of progress regularly. You will be expected to grow into an expert of specific toolchain domains, and identify some problem to resolve by yourself.
The successful candidate will be flexible, with a variety of software development skills and a passion to extend the breadth and depth of their knowledge.
- Good degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or a related subject.
- Expert knowledge of C or C++.
- Practical, organized and analytical approach to work.
- Works well in a team environment.
- Fluent oral and written English
- Experience in using and developing software development tools (GCC, LLVM, GAS, GDB, glibc and GNU Binutils).
- Knowledge of the Arm Architecture.
- Knowledge of techniques in compiler or library optimization, code generation, etc.
- Knowledge of techniques of Parallelisation and Vectorisation.
- Strong scripting ability.
- Development in Linux environment.
- Track record of public contributions to open source projects.
About the Development Solutions Group (DSG)
The Development Solutions Group (DSG) is to help our customers craft innovative and energy efficient Arm-Powered products, using powerful and easy to use development tools. Our mission is to build or enable tools that improve Arm system performance, productivity or time to market.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
Opening Date: 24/05/18
Closing Date: 21/06/18
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm’s success in the global marketplace.