Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Business operations managerPublished at 10.08.2018 - Viewed: 281 times - Free Software Foundation in Boston, MA, USA, United States
This position, reporting to the executive director, works as part of our operations team to ensure the organization’s financial, human resources, and administrative functions run smoothly and in compliance with all legal and policy requirements. We are looking for a hands-on and detail-oriented professional who is comfortable working independently and with multiple teams, including some remote coworkers. Ideal candidates will be proactive and highly adaptable, with an aptitude for learning new tools and coming up with creative solutions. Applicants should have at least three years of experience with bookkeeping and nonprofit operations; human resources experience a plus.
Examples of job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- processing accounts receivable and payable, bank deposits, and monthly financial reconciliation
- preparing annual budget and regular financial reports for management, helping the organization maintain its fiscal health and excellent four-star rating on Charity Navigator
- assisting management with the annual audit
- working with the operations team to ensure that GNU Press (https://shop.fsf.org/) continues to support fundraising efforts
- purchasing for operational and programmatic purposes
- coordinating ongoing vendor review
- administering the FSF’s payroll and benefits programs
- providing administrative assistance to management during hiring, onboarding, and offboarding
- monitoring legal and regulatory landscape for changes that may impact the FSF
- pitching in to help with organization-wide projects, like our major fundraising activities and annual LibrePlanet conference
Because the FSF works globally and seeks to have our materials distributed in as many languages as possible, multilingual candidates will have an advantage. With our small staff of thirteen, each person makes a clear contribution. We work hard, but offer a humane and fun work environment at an office located in the heart of downtown Boston. The FSF is a mature but growing organization that provides great potential for advancement; existing staff get the first chance at any new job openings.
Benefits and Salary
This job is a union position that must be worked on-site at the FSF’s downtown Boston office. The salary is fixed at $61,672/year and is non-negotiable.
- fully subsidized individual or family health coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- partially subsidized dental plan
- four weeks of paid vacation annually
- seventeen paid holidays annually
- weekly remote work allowance
- public transit commuting cost reimbursement
- 403(b) program with employer match
- yearly cost-of-living pay increases based on government guidelines
- health care expense reimbursement
- ergonomic budget
- relocation (to Boston area) expense reimbursement
- conference travel and professional development opportunities
- potential for an annual performance bonus
Applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com. The email must contain the subject line “Business Operations Manager.” A complete application should include:
- cover letter
- two recent references
All materials must be in a free format. Email submissions that do not follow these instructions will probably be overlooked. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. To guarantee consideration, submit your application by August 26, 2018.
The FSF is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or application for employment on the basis of race, color, marital status, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, handicap, or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law. We value diversity in our workplace.
About the Free Software Foundation
The Free Software Foundation, founded in 1985, is dedicated to promoting computer users’ right to use, study, copy, modify, and redistribute computer programs. The FSF promotes the development and use of free (as in freedom) software — particularly the GNU operating system and its GNU/Linux variants — and free documentation for free software. The FSF also helps to spread awareness of the ethical and political issues of freedom in the use of software, and its Web sites, located at fsf.org and gnu.org, are an important source of information about GNU/Linux. Donations to support the FSF’s work can be made at https://donate.fsf.org. We are based in Boston, MA, USA.