Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Software EngineerPublished at 14.09.2018 - Viewed: 638 times - Best Practical Solutions (Worldwide/Remote)
Best Practical Solutions LLC develops and maintains Request Tracker (RT) and Request Tracker for Incident Response (RTIR).
Best Practical was founded to provide enterprise support, custom development, and training services for RT users large and small. We are fully committed to supporting RT as an open source technology, while providing the quality development and resources necessary to support our customers and keep RT healthy and moving forward.
Best Practical was founded in October 2001 and is based out of Boston, MA, with remote team members throughout the world.
About the position:
We're looking for a software engineer who is creative and collaborative to help us improve RT. We're an engineering organization first and foremost: every engineer has a large impact on the future of our products and business.
This role involves all aspects of software engineering: implementing new features, testing and reviewing branches created by co-workers and even community contributors, building customer sponsored features, documentation, improving performance, and responsibly addressing security vulnerabilities. RT is a mature codebase that sits right in the middle of the technologies underlying the internet (web, email, databases, encryption, etc). As such, our work gives you a deep understanding of the guts of how the internet actually works.
It's okay if you don't know everything out of the gate, but you should be able to learn on the fly, and be comfortable asking questions when you get in too deep. RT is a large codebase, so you should be prepared to work with a project that's too big to hold in your head all at once.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or related field) or 5+ years of practical experience
- Experience working in a team, perhaps as part of other open source projects
- Some Linux system administration, at least enough to be able to install RT
- Comfortable diagnosing & solving technical problems with customers over email for both projects & support
- An eye for design is a big plus
- Competitive salary
- Health and dental insurance premiums currently covered 100% (US employees only.)
- Open vacation policy