Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Frontend Web Software EngineerPublished at 29.09.2018 - Viewed: 1096 times - Wikimedia Foundation (Worldwide/Remote)
We value these things:
- Clearly and concisely communicating complex ideas about software and software development
- Instrumenting new and core features and maintaining a set of key performance indicators
- Profiling, analyzing, and optimizing code for performance and user experience on a wide variety of devices
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or management information systems (or related area) or software bootcamp certification; or equivalent in related work experience
- A drive to advocate for the adoption of modern web standards and mobile-friendly design
- A desire to create features for everyone, everywhere and to optimize at the intersection of performance and user perception
- An interest in working with legacy software and modernizing code
- Interest in focused software engineering: writing unit tests, reviewing code and responding to code reviews, and discussing architectural approach
- Experience with testing software
- A love of free knowledge and open access
- Experience with editing Wikipedia and/or wikitext
- Open source contribution (see below)
- Experience developing web applications with PHP
- Knowledge of DOMs
- Experience with test automation (e.g., Cucumber, Selenium, WebdriverIO, Ruby)
Open source contributions
If you have any existing open source software that you’ve developed (these could be your own software or patches to other packages), please share the URLs for the source. Links to your projects on GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket, etc. are exceptionally useful.
About the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF)
WMF is the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501©(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks
We are a family friendly and remote friendly employer, and have a great benefits package, including:
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
Please note that, for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location.