Job details « Go back to category
Full-time General Wine Developer, Valve Steam Play/ProtonPublished at 03.12.2019 - Viewed: 1072 times - CodeWeavers (Worldwide/Remote)
General Wine Developer, Valve Steam Play/Proton
Who we are
CodeWeavers is a small company based in St Paul, Minnesota that enables customers to run Windows programs on macOS, Linux and Android using the open source Wine technology. We are looking for talented programmers that are willing to learn how to improve Wine. We have developers all around the globe and are happy to hire remote workers.
About the position
CodeWeavers recently partnered with Valve Software to integrate Wine into the Steam for Linux client as a part of the Steam Play initiative. This allows Linux gamers to play Windows games on Linux more easily. We need new, full-time developers to improve Wine’s ability to run games.
Why it’s interesting
CodeWeavers is filled with capable developers who believe in the technical and moral strengths of open source software. We thrive by working in an environment with competent co workers, little management hassle, and a sensible approach to work-life balance. We need developers with strong C skills who will enjoy the exciting and varied challenges Wine brings. Most Wine developers work on all areas of Wine, including file I/O, device input, audio/video, graphics, Windows shell and GUI programming, and much more. This requires self-motivation and an ability to learn quickly and work within existing code.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your resume, any relevant work samples you are able to offer, and tell us a little about yourself (specific programming interests? favorite games? hobbies outside of programming).
- Self-directed work with little management interference
- Relaxed environment that promotes work-life balance
- Management has a strong technical background. They understand the realities of Wine and software development
- As an open source project, your work is seen by users immediately
- High impact work. Wine, and Wine-based projects like Proton, are used by millions of people every day
- Small company. No strict policies or forms to fill out. You will get to know all of your coworkers.
- Yearly trip to the Wine Conference
Applicants Working in Minnesota Office
- 401K Matching
- Health Insurance
- 20 Days PTO
- 6 Holidays PTO
- Public transportation reimbursement
- Shower (we have staff who bike to work)
- Unlimited Coffee & Sparkling Water
- Work remotely
- No set hours or unreasonable demands
- 20 Days PTO
- 6 Holidays PTO
- Strong C language skills. Compilers, linkers, macros and function pointers don’t scare you.
- Familiarity with developing on and administering a Linux system (bash, unix utilities, package management, etc)
- Ability to understand and debug build systems (Makefiles, autotools, etc)
- Understanding of good development practices (source control, atomic commits, code readability, test-driven development)
- Self-motivated to find work and learn new skills
- Excellent debugging skills. You will be debugging applications whose source you do not have.
- No exposure to Microsoft code or reverse-engineering of Microsoft software
- Win32 programming experience
- Systems-level programming experience
- Previous contributions to open source software