Here’s the deal: we typically only need help with one thing: Wine Development. Other code development, system administration, testing, sales, tech support, accounting, temp work, dishwashing, and so on we have only occasional need for, and we hire locally when we do.
- General Wine Developer
- CrossOver Lead Software Developer
Questions / Comments?
- Direct them to CodeWeavers
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
- DO NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers.
General Wine Developer [Valve Steam Play/Proton]
[Who we are]
CodeWeavers is a small company based in St Paul, Minnesota that enables customers to run Windows programs on macOS, Linux and Android using the open source Wine technology. We are looking for talented programmers that are willing to learn how to improve Wine. We have developers all around the globe and are happy to hire remote workers.
[About the position]
CodeWeavers recently partnered with Valve Software to integrate Wine into the Steam for Linux client as a part of the Steam Play (Proton) initiative. Â This allows Linux gamers to play Windows games on Linux more easily. We need new, full-time developers to improve Wine’s ability to run games.
[Why it’s interesting]
CodeWeavers is filled with capable developers who believe in the technical and moral strengths of open source software. We thrive by working in an environment with competent co workers, little management hassle, and a sensible approach to work-life balance. We need developers with strong C skills who will enjoy the exciting and varied challenges Wine brings. Most Wine developers work on all areas of Wine, including file I/O, device input, audio/video, graphics, Windows shell and GUI programming, and much more. This requires self-motivation and an ability to learn quickly and work within existing code.
[How to apply]
If you are interested in applying, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your resume, any relevant work samples you are able to offer, and tell us a little about yourself (specific programming interests? favorite games? hobbies outside of programming).
- Self-directed work with little management interference
- Relaxed environment that promotes work-life balance
- Management has a strong technical background. They understand the realities of Wine and software development
- As an open source project, your work is seen by users immediately
- High impact work. Wine, and Wine-based projects like Proton, are used by millions of people every day
- Small company. No strict policies or forms to fill out. You will get to know all of your coworkers.
- Yearly trip to the Wine Conference
Applicants Working in Minnesota Office:
- 401K Matching
- Health Insurance
- 20 Days PTO
- 6 Holidays PTO
- Public transportation reimbursement
- Shower (we have staff who bike to work)
- Unlimited Coffee & Sparkling Water
- Work remotely
- No set hours or unreasonable demands
- 20 Days PTO
- 6 Holidays PTO
- Strong C language skills. Compilers, linkers, macros and function pointers don’t scare you.
- Familiarity with developing on and administering a Linux system (bash, unix utilities, package management, etc)
- Ability to understand and debug build systems (Makefiles, autotools, etc)
- Understanding of good development practices (source control, atomic commits, code readability, test-driven development)
- Self-motivated to find work and learn new skills
- Excellent debugging skills. You will be debugging applications whose source you do not have.
- No exposure to Microsoft code or reverse-engineering of Microsoft software
- Win32 programming experience
- Systems-level programming experience
- Previous contributions to open source software
CrossOver Lead Software Developer [October 2020]
[Who we are]
CodeWeavers is a small international company based in St. Paul, Minnesota that enables customers to run Windows programs on macOS, Linux and Chrome OS using the open source Wine technology. We are currently looking for a CrossOver Product Manager to join our team.
[About the position]
This person will be responsible for leading the development of CodeWeavers’ software, CrossOver, that allows the ability to run Windows software on non-Windows platforms for people around the world. This is a cross-functional role working closely with Engineering, Marketing, and our executive leadership team to bring valued software that delights customers on a daily basis. This is primarily a programming role however it is expected that the successful candidate will help define and execute a strategy and roadmap for the product. Position is currently remote, but must be willing to eventually work out of our Saint Paul office or willing to relocate.
[What you do]
- Lead and implement the customer-facing elements of CrossOver using PyGObject for Linux and Cocoa for macOS.
- Work with internal teams (Wine developers, quality assurance engineers and operations) to ensure that software implementation plans match expectations.
- Help define success criteria for testing and product acceptance.
- Coordinate beta tests.
- Serve as a product evangelist and subject matter expert to the technical/developer community.
- Work with Marketing and Support to uncover and understand customer needs and translate them into requirements.
- Facilitate creation and maintenance of proper product documentation.
- Understand, research and follow technical trends in the industry and in general.
- Assess emerging products and companies to measure their potential value or threat to the company and its products, as well as make recommendations on which new technologies to invest in or leverage.
- Analyze a variety of data sources to understand the needs, performance, and trends with the CrossOver product.
[Who you are]
- Experience building and shipping multi-platform consumer-oriented software products
- Experience with C, Objective-C and Python
- Experience with Xcode and NIB/XIB-based development
- Experience with Git or similar
- Passionate about user interface design
- Familiar with Unix conventions
- Understand the platform conventions on macOS, Linux, and Chrome OS
- Passionate about open source software and creating connected communities
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to translate and articulate complicated business problems into easily understood solutions and functional requirements
- Ability to work cross-functionally with a distributed team across Engineering, Design, Customer Success, Marketing and Business Development
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter telling us (informally) a bit about yourself and why you’d be a good fit for the CodeWeavers team.