This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago! (*)
Senior Ruby on Rails Backend developer (m/f/d) - on site or remote Full-time
Published at 2021-04-25 -
Viewed: 1135 times -
At OpenProject we are building open source project management software which is easy and intuitive to work with. To enable our further growth, we are searching for an excellent backend developer to join our existing team of eleven developers.
What awaits you:
- The best of both worlds: the creative challenges and learning opportunities of a start-up combined with the financial stability of a “grown-up” company in a team of around twenty dedicated professionals.
- The flexibility to decide from where you would like to work: remotely in any location worldwide or from our office in Berlin right next to Alexanderplatz.
- Contributing to an open source project with high visibility and transparency within the developer world (our software code is freely available on Github).
- You will work with a team of experienced software engineers in continuous delivery and integration processes who love to learn from each other.
- You will create value for exciting clients and users from all around the globe, including NGOs and other open source projects which we love to support in fulfilling their mission (such as Greenpeace, Engineers without Frontiers), corporates like Siemens, Deutsche Bahn or Audi and public institutions like German Federal Ministries.
- Continually enhance OpenProject together with your fellow developers by developing secure, well-tested, and performant features and improvements that not only work today but will stand the test of time.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Collaborate with our product managers and designers to iteratively conceive new features for OpenProject.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, performance and architecture, especially since we are transforming a well-established classic rails application to an API-only backend.
- Recognize impediments to our efficiency as a team – be they due to technical debt or inadequate processes – and propose and implement solutions.
- Evaluate the production behaviour of OpenProject in our SaaS infrastructure as well as on-premises.
- While not the main focus of your work, be prepared to support customers on technical requests.
- Your understanding of the Ruby on Rails Framework, relational databases and web technologies in general is solid – successful candidates in this role typically have at least 5 years of experience in those fields.
- You have shown the ability to craft applications that while catering to a complex feature set are stable, scalable, fast and flexible.
- You are comfortable with working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- You have effective communication skills (both written and verbal) to achieve consensus with peers, and provide clear status updates. Our team communicates in English.
- Our “OPENP” core company values resonate strongly with you (O = Open for new stuff, P = Pragmatic (not dogmatic), E = Engaged for clients and colleagues, N = Neigung (passionate) about OpenProject, P = Proactive and accountable).
- You are proficient in the English language (both written and verbal).
Nice to have:
- You can deliver the full stack (Angular & RoR & Operations on Linux and AWS).
- You have successfully developed APIs.
- You have experience contributing to open source software.
- You have experience with the OpenProject product as a user or contributor.
Find out more on: openproject.org or github.com/opf/openproject