This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago! (*)
UX Designer Needed for Interactive Website about Environmental Policy and Justice Freelance
Published at 2021-06-01 -
Viewed: 1561 times -
The Environmental Data and Governance Initiative
in United States
The Environmental Data and Governance Initiative (EDGI) is hiring a short-term user experience designer to help us imagine and create spec for a map-based interactive website for members of the public to access and create reports about environmental enforcement at varied geographies for the ongoing Environmental Enforcement Watch (EEW) project. The designer will work with 1-2 web developers and the EEW team. A strong applicant for this position would come in ready to take charge of the process of discovering users’ needs and translating them into design requirements.
- Part time position: 10-12 hours per week
- Compensation: $4,500 for the project, to be paid out according to mutually agreed-upon milestones
- Dates: June 15th – September 15th (some flexibility)
Qualifications and skills we are looking for:
- Experience leading a design process from identifying user needs to crafting developer-ready specifications.
- Experience working directly with users to identify design priorities.
- Ability to prioritize design needs and pare down to meet scope.
- Familiarity with online collaboration platforms including Slack and Zoom.
- Proactivity in organizing, documenting, and communicating effectively with collaborators.
- Availability to work across North American time zones during business and off-peak hours to support remote volunteer development community (we use Slack and Zoom extensively).
Bonus qualifications and skills:
- Demonstrated interest in environmental health and justice.
- Experience working with community groups, e.g. tribal, that may have specific interaction needs.
- Knowledge of federal environmental laws and enforcement (particularly EPA’s Enforcement and Compliance History Online database).
- Experience with Jupyter Notebooks,R, and Shiny applications.
- Experience with GIS.
- Experience with Github.
- Experience with data visualization.
EDGI is a distributed collaboration operating under the fiscal sponsorship of the non-profit, Multiplier, with volunteer members across North America. EDGI research and work areas:
- Investigating and analyzing the inner workings of federal environmental policy, through interviewing of agency staff, as well as data and documentary collection and analysis.
- Monitoring changes to, and exploring standards for, web-based information about the environment, energy, and climate provided by the federal government.
- Developing new ways of making federal environmental data more accessible to the public.
- Imagining, conceptualizing, and moving toward Environmental Data Justice.
- Prototyping new organizational structures and practices for distributed, collective, effective work rooted in justice.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- CV or Resume
- Any web/design/project portfolio you’d like to share (optional)
- Cover letter outlining your interests and why you are a fit for the position
EDGI strives to acknowledge and reduce barriers for members of equity-seeking groups through fair hiring practices. We expect everyone to follow our Code of Conduct and principles of friendliness, respect, empathy, and open communication.