This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago! (*)
Published at 2021-11-29 -
Viewed: 487 times -
The OpenSSL Project develops and maintains the OpenSSL software – a robust, commercial-grade, full-featured toolkit for general-purpose cryptography and secure communication. The software is widely used around the globe by thousands of organisations, including many major household name corporations. The OpenSSL software is released under an open source licence and is available for free to anyone that wants to use it.
The software is developed by a distributed team, mostly consisting of volunteers with some paid developers. Development is managed by the OpenSSL Management Committee (OMC).
Working as part of the existing development team (consisting of full time staff as well as volunteers) this full time role will assist the OMC in developing and maintaining the OpenSSL Project software.
You must be a self motivated and self directed individual comfortable with working by yourself for protracted periods of time whilst fitting into a small English speaking globally distributed team using an Agile based development methodology.
You will be primarily based from home with occasional business trips. You will be expected to attend regular weekly and daily meetings which are currently during the 07:00-10:00 UTC time window.
Salary commensurate with experience and location.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Design and develop the features, tooling, tests and documentation for inclusion in new OpenSSL versions.
- Investigate reports of defects from end users and develop fixes.
- Provide support to end users and paid-for support customers through OMC mandated channels (currently including GitHub and mailing lists).
- Take part in the analysis of security reports and help to develop and test fixes and security advisories as necessary.
- Review third party code submissions.
- Regular attendance at daily “stand up” meetings with other members of the development team as well as other technical and planning meetings as required.
- Basic Linux system administration as/when required.
- You must be able to travel to meeting locations around the globe on an occasional basis including Europe, North America, and Australia.
- Other duties as they may arise, and as directed by the OMC.
Qualifications and Experience
- You must have a strong development background with experience of C.
- You will need to be comfortable interacting with command line tools to perform or aid your duties.
- You should have working knowledge of internet protocols and their layering (IP, TCP, UDP) and at least some experience with network programming.
- You must have excellent spoken and written English.
- Advantageous, but not required are:
- an understanding of Cryptography;
- an ability to write secure code;
- knowledge of assembly code for one or more contemporary CPU architectures;
- experience with Perl;
- familiarity with the Git SCM;
- development experience with one or more of: Android, iOS, macOS and Windows;
- basic system administration knowledge for Linux and/or TLS concepts.
- An interest or background in Open Source development is also an advantage.
Recent jobs at OpenSSL: