Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Digital Security CoordinatorPublished at 02.05.2017 - Viewed: 1060 times - Tactical Tech in Berlin, Germany
Tactical Tech is an international NGO, with an office in Berlin, which works with an international network of partners to assist rights, accountability and transparency advocates and activists to use information and digital technologies effectively in their work.
We are an international, dynamic team and this new role is crucial to support the efficiency of the organisation’s operations function as well as day to day work in the office.
Level: Coordinator level
Location: Berlin (payroll, full-time)
Core responsibilities: Working across teams the Digital Security Coordinator will contribute sound Digital Security content to our products, including training curricula, guides and toolkits and websites. The coordinator will ensure that tried and tested digital security strategies and advice are embedded within our projects, in line with our organisational strategy.
Tactical Tech is looking for an experienced individual to come aboard as a Digital Security Coordinator for its Programme Team in Berlin. We are looking to hire someone, who has experience in researching and writing adult education content, such as guides and how to’s about technology and digital security for a variety of audiences, including general, non-tech and international audiences.
Ideally, you are someone with a very sound understanding of technology in relation to the internet, our everyday devices and social media, in particular in the context of digital security and privacy. As such, you will be able to assess different tools and apps from a security, privacy and usability point of view to meet different needs and context. We are looking for someone, who is very comfortable explaining complex technical issues within a practical context. You should also have experience working in a non-profit, human rights focussed environment. Ideally you have a strong understanding of working with different threat models within contexts.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Work across teams to research and write on digital security and related issues for educational purposes.
- Contribute to and write texts for a variety of formats including websites and printed materials.
- Work across teams to translate research and investigation findings into products that meet high standards and that are accessible for a non-expert audience.
- Provide input to grant reports, proposals, website and board reports as appropriate.
- Support and conduct internal skill shares and external event-related awareness raising events or trainings.
- Contribute to collecting project related data to monitor grant indicators and share grant lessons learned within team.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties, which may be required.
Key competencies and experience
- Native or native-level written English, additional languages a distinct advantage.
- Ability to assess different tools and apps from a security, privacy and usability point of view to meet different needs and context.
- Strong practical research skills and proven ability to write in an engaging manner for a general audience (including second-language speakers) in a number of formats.
- Solid understanding of holistic security frameworks, of which digital security is just one dimension.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Understanding of the perspectives of non-technical users, particularly in relation to privacy and security.
- Exposure to politics of information technologies for advocacy and human rights.
- Good interpersonal and problem solving skills, with a hands-on and can-do approach.
- Ability to produce results under pressure and within tight deadlines.
- Comfortable with creative and iterative processes and working in a dynamic and fast moving environment.
- Demonstrable commitment to Tactical Tech’s mission and values, including an understanding of the geopolitical contexts in which Tactical Tech’s work is carried out.
- An appreciation of the diverse socio-cultural, political and historical experiences of the interdependent, global world we live in.
- Experience in training digital security in an international non-profit environment.
- Background and proven experience in developing curricula.
- Project coordination experience, including managing budgets and organising events.
- Experience in research and communications.
- Understanding of the perspectives of non-technical users, particularly in relation to privacy.
This is a mid level position. Graduates with at least three years experience are encouraged to apply. The salary is based upon our internal salary scales for coordinators and is competitive for a Berlin-based non-profit. This is a one-year position, with a three month probation period. We hope to extend this position, depending on available funds and performance. We are looking for people who have the right to live and work in Europe, however for exceptional candidates we will support efforts to get a working visa.
Please apply via email email@example.com (the PGP Key fingerprint is: F332 42F9 DD5B 91D9 AEF3 108A 6AC5 FEC2 7C8B 5F0D) using the subject line “Digital Security” with your CV and a covering letter in a pdf format outlining your suitability for the post by Friday May 12th. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to respond to individual phone and email inquiries.