Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Project Manager for SecureDrop, Sunder, Haven, SecureTheNewsPublished at 18.11.2017 - Viewed: 929 times - Freedom of the Press Foundation (Worldwide/Remote)
Freedom of the Press Foundation (FPF), a San Francisco-based non-profit organization dedicated to protecting journalists and whistleblowers, is looking for a Project Manager to work on SecureDrop and other open-source technology projects that help journalists and sources communicate securely.
SecureDrop is an open-source whistleblower submission system used by journalists to communicate with sources, currently in use at over fifty news organizations worldwide, including The New York Times, Washington Post, Guardian, The Intercept, and ProPublica.
As FPF’s Project Manager, your responsibilities will include coordinating and managing the SecureDrop software project, both with the engineers working on the code and the news organizations using the software. Responsibilities include:
- Scheduling Freedom of the Press Foundation meetings both internally and with external partners, preparing agendas, leading the discussion, and taking notes for all those participating.
- Helping onboard new FPF staff members and get them get settled in the organization.
- Coordinating the engineering team with FPF’s digital security and support teams.
- Suggesting issues to individual developers, making sure each developer is on task and on schedule.
- Managing the SecureDrop support portal, where over 100 news organizations ask questions about install and use, troubleshoot, and receive communications from the SecureDrop team.
- Being the first point of contact for news organizations wishing to install SecureDrop, which includes explaining the requirements, speaking with editors, executives and technical staff, assisting with getting a support contract signed, and onboarding them on to the SecureDrop support portal.
- Managing SecureDrop’s robust open source community by tracking submitted pull requests, interacting and onboarding new contributors, and keeping the community engaged and happy.
In addition, you will work on and help manage several other smaller technology project Freedom of the Press Foundation is currently developing:
- Secure The News: an automated scanner of support for HTTPS on the websites of news organizations.
- Sunder: an implementation of Shamir’s Secret Sharing for journalists to securely store and share documents.
- Haven: a mobile security app that alerts users when their phone is physically disturbed by anyone not themselves.
Skills and Experience
- At least 2-4 years of experience managing software projects.
- Experience managing open source communities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Highly organized and self-motivated to solve problems as they present themselves.
- Experience helping engineers ship usable applications on firm deadlines.
- Experience answering technical questions to non-technical people.
- Passion for building free software to solve real world problems.
Experience with one or more of the following would be great:
- Experience working with journalists or activists.
- History of free software contributions.
- Experience with Agile/Scrum.
- Experience with developing or managing security software.
- Familiarity with threat modeling for informing security decisions.
Working with us
Freedom of the Press Foundation aims to tackle unusually hard—but interesting—security and usability problems. If you are passionate about making security tools more usable, participating in open-source development, empowering whistleblowers, or just like a challenge, we encourage you to get in touch.
It is strongly preferred that the candidate be available to work on-site in the Bay Area (San Francisco office), but highly qualified candidates will be considered for remote work with occasional travel.
If you think you’d like to be a part of our team, please send a short cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
- Competitive non-profit salary
- Reimbursement of 100% of basic health and dental insurance premiums
- 20 days of PTO, plus 13 holidays
- 401k program with matching.