Job details « Go back to category
Full-time GTK+ core developerPublished at 08.07.2018 - Viewed: 927 times - GNOME Foundation (Worldwide/Remote)
Reporting to the Executive Director, and working with board members and volunteers, responsibilities include:
- Creation, development and maintenance of core components of the GTK+ toolkit
- Designing, proposing and delivering key features of GTK+ to enable a reliable, efficient and featureful toolkit.
- Responding to user requests, designing new features maintaining the existing stack
- Working with a globally diverse group of paid and volunteer staff
We are looking for a competent software engineer to undertake a variety of development and administration tasks within the existing GTK+ toolkit project. You will help to plan and deliver software, working with peers and other contributors to drive the reliability, efficiency and features of GTK+.
This involves a number of technologies and systems, most notably Glib, Pango, Cairo and ATK.
To be an excellent core developer, you must be organized and detail-oriented, comfortable with working with diverse teams and have the ability to inspire and motivate others. If you have further skills in software development or core module maintenance, we’d like to meet you.
The goal will be to facilitate the effective development and maintenance of GTK+. This role reports to the GNOME Foundation Executive Director.
This role is initially set as a fixed, one year contract. It is the intention that the Foundation will renew this contract and we hope it will become a permanent position. This is, however, reliant on future fundraising efforts.
- Supports the planning and development of GTK+ toolkit and subprojects.
- Develops new and existing integrations with existing systems and language bindings.
- Testing and deploying different applications in different environments to ensure compliance and quality of GTK+ frameworks.
- Understanding of and belief in the organization’s mission, vision, and values
- Solid Linux platform knowledge – comfort and expertise in C
- Experience with development processes in the Linux desktop stack
- Experience with graphical toolkits and use cases
- Understanding of cross-platform porting issues
- Ability to work with diverse and multi-disciplinary teams
- Detail-oriented and proactive approach to managing time-sensitive and competing workloads
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented and efficient
- Flexible schedule outside of typical working hours, with the ability and willingness to work occasional nights or weekends as necessary
- Ability to work remotely as part of a global team
- BSc/BA in computer science, software engineering or relevant experience
- Preferred: experience with GitLab, CI/QA, build and deployment systems
We offer a range of benefits, depending on location, including:
- Competitive salaries
- Generous paid time off
- Flexible working
- Remote working
- Pension matching
- Travel allowances
The position opens for application on 6th July 2018. We expect the first round of interviews to begin at the start of August 2018.
To apply for any of the above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the position in the subject. Include a covering letter, and your CV/resume.
Please note, as a 501©(3), our funds are limited, and thus we do not accept speculative applications or applicants via recruitment agencies.