Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Linux Kernel EngineerPublished at 07.06.2017 - Viewed: 1275 times - Linaro (Worldwide/Remote)
Job Title: Kernel Engineer (On one of our Landing Teams)
Job Location: Home based with broadband. This role will require international travel.
Reports to: Landing Team Lead
Landing Team Summary:
A landing team is a team composed of Linaro engineers, and engineers from a specific SoC vendor. The team is formed to tackle a specific set of problems related to Linux and a particular SoC. Currently landing teams are focusing efforts on kernel enablement, kernel patch submission upstream, integration of multimedia codecs into the Linux multimedia frameworks, the integration of an accelerated graphic components into the Linux graphical subsystem and the development of member builds for a vendor’s SOCs.
Your role will be to advise and collaborate on the development and submission upstream of the Linux kernel support for a range of SoCs, including leading edge ARM based SoC, and target development boards.
- Keenly understands ARM based hardware support in the Linux kernel and userspace applications.
- Provides design and code review expertise to accelerate the patch submission upstream of a specific silicon platform.
- Works with platform kernel specialists to ensure common frameworks and facilities are available to accelerate enablement and improve system stability.
- Collaborates well with other teams in Linaro and with upstream developers where appropriate.
- Test development
Required skills and experience:
- Capacity to learn new systems and techniques quickly.
- Extensive experience in Linux kernel development.
- Experience submitting code to upstream projects.
- Experience with ARM related kernel components and drivers.
- Ability to work closely with engineers at other organizations enabling Linux on ARM based devices, providing code review, guidance and training.
- Understanding of current trends in Linux kernel development, including device trees, power management and kernel trace mechanisms.
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self discipline and self motivation, delivering according to a schedule.
- Strong English communication skills, especially over phone, email and IRC.
Desired skills and experience:
- Familiarity with open source development tools and methodology.
- Experience with Qualcomm Snapdragon processor family
- Experience with Linux power management framework
- Experience with Linux networking
- Experience with Debian, Open Embedded or the Yocto Project.
- Ability to mentor less experienced team members on Linux, open source software and submission of code to upstream projects.
- Experience with Bugzilla, Gerrit and JIRA
Landing Team Engineers are expected to participate in one or more development “sprints” with the member, and all Linaro Connect events. All such events may involve international travel.