Job details « Go back to category
Full-time Software Engineer (Linux/Android)Published at 07.06.2017 - Viewed: 757 times - Linaro (Worldwide)
Job Title: Software Engineer
Job Location: Home based with broadband. This role requires some international travel.
Reports to: Landing Team Technical Lead
Landing Team Summary:
A landing team is a team composed of Linaro engineers, and engineers from a specific SoC vendor. The team is formed to tackle a specific set of problems related to Linux and a particular SoC. Currently landing teams are focusing efforts on kernel enablement, kernel patch submission upstream, integration of multimedia codecs into the Linux multimedia frameworks, the integration of an accelerated graphic components into the Linux graphical subsystem and the development of member builds for a vendor’s SOCs.
Your role will be to advise and collaborate on the development and submission upstream of the low level Linux software support for a range of SoCs, including leading edge ARM based SoC, and target development boards. The development tasks can vary from Linux kernel to low level user space components, typically related to graphics, multimedia stacks for both Linux and Android operating systems.
These may include:
- Planning, organizing and assisting in upstreaming support for member boards and SoCs.
- Test development.
- Contributing to standard Linux frameworks and applications such as Gstreamer, ffmpeg, Chromium and the Android Open Source Project, in order to add support for SoC specific capabilities.
Required skills and experience:
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong English language communication skills, especially in online environments such as mailing lists and IRC.
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self discipline and self motivation, delivering according to a schedule.
- Familiarity with open source development tools and methodology. Excellent C programming skills and GIT usage are a must.
- Experience with the Linux kernel (authoring, porting and upstreaming Linux device drivers)
- Experience with standard Linux multimedia framework, such as Gstreamer and/or ffmpeg
- Experience with Android AOSP hardware enablement
Desired skills and experience:
- Experience submitting code to upstream projects and opens source workflow.
- Ability to mentor other less experienced team members on Linux, open source software and upstreaming of code.
- Experience with the Open Embedded build system, and/or Debian based Linux distributions
- Knowledge of recent ARM architecture technologies, especially with Qualcomm Snapdragon processor family
- Experience with Bugzilla, Gerrit and JIRA
Landing Team Engineers are expected to participate in one or more development “sprints” with the member, and all Linaro Connect events. All such events may involve international travel.